Bach 42B - New Linkage Job

Neo Bri

Bach 42B - New Linkage Job

Post by Neo Bri »

Yo. So I have this Bach 42B Corporation listed in the Classifieds. I forgot one thing - it needs to have the attachment lever resoldered. But really, the old-style Bach linkages are pretty lame. So I'm thinking of a new linkage, maybe mini-balls, etc. Something reliable. Something quiet. Something cheap.

Thoughts?
BGuttman

Re: Bach 42B - New Linkage Job

Post by BGuttman »

Todd Clontz used to do conversions to mini-balls. I'd bet a lot of our resident techs could do it as well.

You might be able to do it yourself with parts from an RC model supply shop. Miniballs and rods are generally used for controls and you might be able to figure out something that will work with what you have.

Which solder joint broke?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 pm Todd Clontz used to do conversions to mini-balls. I'd bet a lot of our resident techs could do it as well.

You might be able to do it yourself with parts from an RC model supply shop. Miniballs and rods are generally used for controls and you might be able to figure out something that will work with what you have.

The post that holds the lever to the bell brace. So the whole mech popped off.
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:29 pm Something reliable. Something quiet. Something cheap.
Thoughts?
These three criteria are seldom found together. It's more a question of, do you want it right or just good enough to get by? I don't mean to sound snarky but I see this a lot. People want perfection for a discount.

Levers and linkages are often afterthoughts and are just "slapped on" as long as it works. There are a lot of things to take into consideration (geometry and all that stuff)

We, at M&W, have done several lever/linkage conversions. Prices range from $150.00 and up depending on what you have and what you want.

Best
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 pm
BGuttman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 pm Todd Clontz used to do conversions to mini-balls. I'd bet a lot of our resident techs could do it as well.

The post that holds the lever to the bell brace. So the whole mech popped off.
The saddle joint? Mine did that too. Surface prep is everything in doing that repair or it will happen again. That Bach linkage works pretty well IF lubricated and adjusted just right, I wouldn't change it.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I agree - the old style Bach linkage is great when properly set up. The miniball mechanism that followed it is a real stinker.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BostonChops

Post by BostonChops »

You can buy the miniball parts for the upgrade, but they are not cheap...

Miniball:
http://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/pr ... s_id=21922

$110 for parts and maybe you still need a tech to fit it...

Return to “Modification & Repair”