Speedbar Triggers

ttf_Carl Enger

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_Carl Enger »

Hi, I was recently scouring Ebay and Horn-U-Copia like I always do to look for some horns I could buy. I found a Yamaha YBL-611 bass bone, and thought it looked pretty nice. But, the triggers were interesting. I had never seen a mechanism like that before. I wondered what it could be. I recently found my answer on Horn-U-Copia looking at horns from Holton. They were speedbar triggers. So, anyway, does anyone know anything about speedbar triggers? What advantages/disadvantages and what their purpose is?

Thanks.

Also, here are links to pictures of horns that I found with this kind of mechanism:

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/instruments/Holton/Holton-Trombone-bass-TR180.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272776607983
ttf_Burgerbob

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

The Holton uses the Glantz bar, basically a bar connecting the two valve linkages. If you press a certain amount in the right place, the F valve operates. Press harder and the second valve operates.

The Yamaha looks like it has rollers, a little different setup.

Personally none of these hold a candle to modern split triggers.
ttf_BassCase

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_BassCase »

I had a 611 in the 80s.  I rather liked the roller set up better than my Duo Gravis paddles.  Smooth action.  Just sayin'.   
ttf_BassCase

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_BassCase »

I've seen that horn on ebay.  Don't you DARE pay that price for that horn.  Waaaay too high.  Again, just sayin'. 
ttf_Radar

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_Radar »

That 611 is way over priced, I bought a 612 in better condition for 1/2 that price.  I like the roller paddles on the 612, the picture of the 611 looks like a slightly different setup.  I like the split paddles on the 612 with the roller set up the advantage is I don't have to use my index finger (which has a bit of trigger finger) to operate the second valve. The other thing you should be aware of is the second valve on the 612 is Eb and not a D which is the current standard, I believe this is the case on the 611 also (unless it comes with an optional d slide, which this one appears not too). 
ttf_svenlarsson

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

That 611 I would not buy even for half that price.

ttf_JWykell

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_JWykell »

I love that model and wouldn't pay that much if the lacquer where intact, let alone for that horn. It suggests bad faith on behalf of the seller.
ttf_JWykell

Speedbar Triggers

Post by ttf_JWykell »

I love that model and wouldn't pay that much if the lacquer where intact, let alone for that horn. It suggests bad faith on behalf of the seller.

Return to “Instruments”