Martin Deluxe

ttf_anonymous

Martin Deluxe

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everybody, I recently won a Martin Deluxe off of Ebay and I had a couple questions. I have looked everywhere online and I just can not find any information on the specs or anything about it Image! None of the catalogs online have any info on this horn.
  The bell is silver yet the slide is gold so that makes me wonder if the slide is original to the bell. So, can anyone tell me more about this horn? Pictures will be up soon.
ttf_chiquisjustme

Martin Deluxe

Post by ttf_chiquisjustme »

ttf_salsabone

Martin Deluxe

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Adrian, I have a Martin Deluxe as well.  I do not play it much since the slide needs a decent amount of work.  I did make it work once for my college alumni band.  At the end of one first down cheer I had one of the trombone band members yell after  "Holy crap!! He's louder than all of us put together!".  It was a big first down and I was pumped up!  My point is your Martin can be pushed to big volumes if you want.  I do like old Martins and my '47 committee is one of my favorites.  I hope your slide is better than mine.
Kevin 
ttf_chiquisjustme

Martin Deluxe

Hey, Salsabone I was hoping you would respond! When researching this instrument I came across a few of your posts about the parade you were in and the such. It's a great horn that plays well and my slide is actually in OK shape. When I first received the horn the slide was just STUCK  Image but after taking it to my repairman he did a very solid job and made the slide playable to probably a 7/10.
Now if I may ask, do my pictures of my horn look similar to what your horn looks like? And what I mean by that is if your deluxe is also silver with the gold tuning slide and gold playing slide? I took a careful look at the welding and it seems to be consistent throughout the horn.
You are right the horn is LOUD it does not play like your 'typical' small bore. It is a nice lead horn and I received good feedback on the horn.  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Martin Deluxe

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Looks really nice.  The engraving indicates it's probably a relatively late model (fairly plain).

My Imperial from the late 1940s has a solid brass bar in the tuning slide brace and it really doesn't need a counterweight.  Is yours like that?

Incidentally, my horn has a 199xxx serial number so it should be much older than yours.
ttf_salsabone

Martin Deluxe

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Adrian,  Looking at you pics yours is an exact match to mine, but yours is in much better shape!  I also remember making my committee slide work with the deluxe bell and using it at the local Hispanic day festival.  After playing the set with the band I was in, before I left the stage,  the night's  featured bands leader hired me to sub for his lead player who was at the hospital with some sickness.  That was a fun night(my wife was not happy with staying longer! Image) and made my a fast $100.  That doubled what I had in my Deluxe!  Thanks for bringing up a good memory.
Kevin
ttf_chiquisjustme

Martin Deluxe

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 09, 2017, 01:03PM
My Imperial from the late 1940s has a solid brass bar in the tuning slide brace and it really doesn't need a counterweight.  Is yours like that?
I do not think there is any added weight to the tuning slide brace, it balances a bit front heavy with the slide.Quote from: salsabone on Sep 10, 2017, 06:58AMAdrian,  Looking at you pics yours is an exact match to mine, but yours is in much better shape!  I also remember making my committee slide work with the deluxe bell and using it at the local Hispanic day festival.  After playing the set with the band I was in, before I left the stage,  the night's  featured bands leader hired me to sub for his lead player who was at the hospital with some sickness.  That was a fun night(my wife was not happy with staying longer! Image) and made my a fast $100.  That doubled what I had in my Deluxe!  Thanks for bringing up a good memory.
Kevin

Kevin, thank you for confirming for me the status of my horn.

I bought this from someone who bought it at an estate sell and the case is interesting. It has a Peruvian coat of arms on the case and it seems to be a custom design that is on the case. It's pretty interesting and mysterious and the horn seems to have an interesting history. You can tell when you play it, not quite sure how to explain it.

I slapped the bell section on my Urbie Green slide when I first received the horn (bad slide) and it played pretty well!  Image
ttf_chiquisjustme

Martin Deluxe

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 09, 2017, 01:03PM
I do not think there is any added weight to the tuning slide brace, it balances a bit front heavy with the slide.Quote from: salsabone on Sep 10, 2017, 06:58AMAdrian,  Looking at you pics yours is an exact match to mine, but yours is in much better shape!  I also remember making my committee slide work with the deluxe bell and using it at the local Hispanic day festival.  After playing the set with the band I was in, before I left the stage,  the night's  featured bands leader hired me to sub for his lead player who was at the hospital with some sickness.  That was a fun night(my wife was not happy with staying longer! Image) and made my a fast $100.  That doubled what I had in my Deluxe!  Thanks for bringing up a good memory.
Kevin

Kevin, thank you for confirming for me the status of my horn.

I bought this from someone who bought it at an estate sell and the case is interesting. It has a Peruvian coat of arms on the case and it seems to be a custom design that is on the case. It's pretty interesting and mysterious and the horn seems to have an interesting history. You can tell when you play it, not quite sure how to explain it.

I slapped the bell section on my Urbie Green slide when I first received the horn (bad slide) and it played pretty well!  Image

Return to “Instruments”