Modular trombone compatibility

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've seen a few people mention having a shires or Yamaha bell with an edwards valve section etc. Are all the modular systems compatible with each other? What works with what?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The short answer is no.  Sometimes you can make modifications to one part or another (for example, putting a Shires tenon on a Bach slide) and sometimes getting them to work involves a lot of expensive custom work.

Sometimes you get lucky and one part mates with another.  But don't hold your breath.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

They are not out-of-the-box interchangeable.  Mixing parts that are not designed for each other is a big science experiment, typically yielding something that doesn't work.  Some times you get lucky and it might pan out, but that seems to be more of the exception than the rule.
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: burton300 on Yesterday at 08:56 AMI've seen a few people mention having a shires or Yamaha bell with an edwards valve section etc. Are all the modular systems compatible with each other? What works with what?
Pretty much only some slides work with some hand slide receivers...  If you are talking flare to somebody else's tuning slide or valve section, every one that is made to match has been adjusted in the field somehow.  For example, Bach and Edwards slides 'fit'.  But Bach slides are longer.  This can usually be made up in the tuning slide or extended positions, but YMMV.  Shires receivers will 'fit' a Bach or Edwards slide, but the threads are different.  Again there are length issues. It is work to make a Frankenstein horn.  Sometimes it is worth it. 

Note: I own a Bach horn that I have fitted to a Shires valve section.  And a Bach horn that I play with and Edwards slide. And a Holton Flare, Bach Tuning slide, and Shires valve section.  That last one was not intentional, it was just the parts I had handy.  Pretty much none of these items will now be happily mated to stock items.  Well, except the Edwards slide, there have been no tweaks to that.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_burton300

Post by ttf_burton300 »

This seems much more in line with what makes sense to me. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Cheers
ttf_burton300

Post by ttf_burton300 »

This seems much more in line with what makes sense to me. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”