Questions about DE mouthpieces

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I have here  F, G, and H cups (LT) and F8, G8, and H8 shanks.

These all see to be compatible with each other.  IOW, the hole at the bottom of each cup is the same size and is also the same size as the hole at the top of each shank.  So there is no 'transitional' problem (step) if I put an F shank on an H cup, or vise-versa.  The difference is further down where the F shank narrows to an F drill hole, and the G to a G drill, etc.

So, my 1st question is, is there any reason not to use an F shank on an H cup in order to 'fine tune' the mouthpiece?

2nd question.  I also have a LT-C cup and two C shanks.  The hole in the bottom of the C cup is a lot smaller than the hole in the bottom of the F cup, so a C shank is not compatible with an F cup.  My question is, where do these incompatibilities exist>  For example, how far does the F to H compatibility go? E-J?  F-I?
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Different letter cup/shank are not supposed to be compatible. A D cup would be ok with a D+ shank, but not with an E shank. At least that's the way I understand it. It is explained on Doug's website.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

What I've observed:

- The throat is in the shank, so yes, any shank/cup will mate
- The lower the letter, the shorter the shank (and the longer the cup, i.e. a J shank is longer than an M shank.  Properly mated cup/shanks in the same series are the same total length, when you mix and match, the total length changes)

You can indeed try other combos, but partials might line up weird and notes may not center right.  That's my experience.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Ive observed The throats are different for A-D, E-H, and J- I'm not sure I've never owned bigger than M. They are progressively shorter the further down the alphabet you go. It seems to have less influence with bass than tenor shanks but I'm also much more aware of small tenor playing since I've done the most of it.

I put a G8 on an XT E awhile ago and the result was not pleasant. When i put an M8 on my LB L, which is actually my main bass piece at the moment just out of what parts I had accumulated, it plays fine. I'll probably pick up an L8 at some point but I'm not developed on bass yet enough for it to make a difference in my estimation.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

In designing my three part system I had to make a lot of seemingly arbitrary choices to make it work.

The change in hole size at the bottom of the cup occurs between E and F.

Each cup uses its own throat size which is in the shank.  It's all part of the design - the curve from the cup continues into the shank.  So if you use the wrong letter it may match the hole size but not the rest of the design.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Sep 05, 2017, 02:04PMThe change in hole size at the bottom of the cup occurs between E and F.

Ah, yeah, I've not worked with anything smaller than F.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Okay, makes sense now.

Thanks.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

D shank just doesn't sound good with an M cup  Image Image
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Sep 05, 2017, 03:00PMD shank just doesn't sound good with an M cup  Image Image

I just bought a bass trombone set which doesn't work  Image LB 113 E I9 (but for £50/$65 who can complain)

My hope was that it might give me a bright, commercial sound but it seems to very unfocussed. I use a Yeo replica for classical stuff. I have used a Yamaha 60B for Big band work before.
I am doing an exchange with another forum member with the rim; my LB113 for his LB114 and I wondered about changing the E cup for an I cup

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Sep 06, 2017, 04:42PMI just bought a bass trombone set which doesn't work  Image LB 113 E I9 (but for £50/$65 who can complain)

My hope was that it might give me a bright, commercial sound but it seems to very unfocussed. I use a Yeo replica for classical stuff. I have used a Yamaha 60B for Big band work before.
I am doing an exchange with another forum member with the rim; my LB113 for his LB114 and I wondered about changing the E cup for an I cup

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Stewbones
Just read Doug's comment... Cups need to be matched with shanks.

E cup is really small... That's like a 6 1/2 al cup.

A J cup is like a big 1 1/2g and K is prolly close to a Schilke 59. Personally I'd check out his K if you don't want something Schilke 60 big.
ttf_Doug Elliott

An I cup is very much incompatible with an E cup.  Get an I cup, it's probably what you want.
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Sep 06, 2017, 05:00PMAn I cup is very much incompatible with an E cup.  Get an I cup, it's probably what you want.

Thanks Doug, that's just what I needed to hear; well the second bit is, I had already discovered the first bit.  Image Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_jej

Post by ttf_jej »

Will an E shank work with a D cup?
ttf_Doug Elliott

It will work but it's not the way I designed it.
ttf_Doug Elliott

It will work but it's not the way I designed it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”