King 3B+ with F trigger

ttf_Geordie

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Started looking for one of these in July.  I've now got a 3B+ with trigger (thanks Tom!!) and am impressed with the versatility of it - seems like a good fit for third seat in a big band and playing in wind bands/brass bands.

There seems to be very few of them around, while there seems to be lots of 3Bs with trigger for sale but not 3B+s.  Were there not many 3B+ made and even fewer with a trigger or do people not want to sell them? 

ttf_chromebone

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_chromebone »

Conn Selmer will make a 3b+ with an f attachment, but as a custom order. I remember a student trying to get one, and it was going to be at least a 9 month wait. One would think that the larger bore instrument would be the one offered with an F attachment, but this is Conn Selmer we're dealing with, which is more interested in marketing crappy student horns made in China and pushing them out the door, than offering options for advanced an professional players.
ttf_Geordie

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Geordie »

That's interesting about the made to order. Mine is from the 1970s I believe. Wondering now if they were stock items then.
ttf_BGuttman

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

When they were first introduced the 3B+ came plain and with an F attachment.  I tried an Anniversary Silver Sonic version of the 3B+-F and thought it was nice but I already had a nice Medium Bore and didn't have the cash sitting around to buy it.  It was withdrawn for a time and when they reintroduced it they didn't provide the F-attachment as a normal stock item.

There are definitely less of these around than 3B-F.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

What's different between the bells of a 3BF and a 3B+F? Just the slide/bell tenon? Or is it more complicated than that?
ttf_Geordie

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Based on my limited experience I think it's simpler as the bells and bore are the same. The only difference I can tell is that the one has an F trigger and one does not. Many more experienced folk on here than me, so this might not be the complete answer.
ttf_gregs70

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Geordie on Sep 05, 2017, 12:50PMBased on my limited experience I think it's simpler as the bells and bore are the same. The only difference I can tell is that the one has an F trigger and one does not. Many more experienced folk on here than me, so this might not be the complete answer.

Nope.  3BF has .508 bore and 3B+F has .525, both have F attachments.  3B and 3B+ are straight horns, same difference in bore sizes.  The "+" means plus size bore instead of the standard bore, I would think.
ttf_BGuttman

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

King's 3B is a .508" bore horn.  There is a 4B which is a .547" bore horn.  The new horn was in between the 3B and 4B and they didn't want to call it a 3 1/2 B.  Its 21xx number was 2125 (although now its model in s 3BPLUS.

If yours is from the late 1970s, it's probably one of the first.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

What I'm getting at is if the tenons are the same ( I know they're different with the 2B and 2B+ ) then you can get a 3BF and a 3B+ and have many options swapping bells and slides.
ttf_greenbean

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Tenons are different...
ttf_Geordie

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Gregs70 is right. I misread the earlier question.        Image     Mine is 2125 designation.
ttf_Geordie

King 3B+ with F trigger

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Gregs70 is right. I misread the earlier question.        Image     Mine is 2125 designation.

Return to “Instruments”