Stork Bass Trombone ?

ttf_fwbassbone

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I am wondering about the Stork 1 bass trombone mouthpiece.  I searched it but came up empty.  I've heard good things about their tenor pieces but haven't found anything on the #1 except a mention here and there.  I really don't need another mouthpiece...wait what am I saying we all need one of each right?  Thanks for any info about these.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

When I first started getting more serious about playing bass, I went through a few mouthpieces trying to figure out what worked for me.  A friend at work with gave me a Stork 1S right around then.  Never looked back.  Most comfortable rim I'd played on - just felt good on my face - I found it easy to control throughout the range and dynamics.  It just felt right, and it worked for me.   I've more recently sized down a bit, to the Stork 1.5 and find its working better for me given the more limited playing time I can manage right now.  Same feel, just a smaller piece.

Can't say much more as I haven't really been shopping since I got that mouthpiece 20 years ago or so and it just worked.  Prior to that, I was fiddling with various Bach and Schilkes.

If you are interested, I just put two Stork 1S for sale in the classifieds.  They've been laying around for a bit after I treated myself to a gold one.  I figure I will keep the gold one, as well as the 1.5 I am using now. 

Good luck.

ttf_svenlarsson

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I had one years ago, some other guys arond did too.
I do like lots mouthpieces like Josef Klier Griego Doug Elliot Hamilton Giardinelli Greg Black some Bach:s Lasekey and some more. All of those I can play. I never liked Stork #1 my self. Don´t know why? Sorry.
ttf_Alex

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_Alex »

I have a Stork Custom 1. Very deep, fairly straight cup going to a V entrance for an open backbore.
Very easy to play loud on, but not the most interesting sound.
(thats for me compared to other mouthpieces I have)
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I had a great time on a Stork 1. Sadly I have no idea where it is. Comfortable and easy to play despite being very large. It's been so long I don't know what I'd think of it now, but if I found it easier than the other bass pieces I tried back in HS I bet I would still find it great. I can't think of any complaints I had, but I did try a PrimeSlide on a whine that ended up being more interesting and now I'm on a DE piece.
ttf_Posaunus

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Peter Eiden on Sep 01, 2017, 06:56AMCleaning out some old stuff that hasn't seen use in many years.  All are in good condition, no appreciable wear on playing surfaces and minimal wear (insertion marks, etc.) elsewhere except as noted below.

I've pegged the pricing to roughly 50% of current WWBW online pricing to keep it simple.  All are silver plate.  Add $5 for US Shipping, PayPal please.

Stork 1S:  $33.00
Stork 1S:  $30.00 (this one has a couple of nicks on the side of the rim - not on the playing surface, and the very end of the shank is very slightly out of round)

Schilke 58:  $37.00
Schilke 60:  $37.00

Thanks!

Peter

ttf_Peter Eiden

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Yep, them's the ones I'd like to find new homes for.  That will still leave me with 3 1Ss    The gold one I mentioned above, my original silver one my friend gave me and one I had John Stork make up with a delrin rim that I used for a bunch of years at a Christmas living Nativity gig. 

They may not work for everyone, but I like them!  Just have too many!

ttf_bassclef

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_bassclef »

Just give it a try!

Pick up a used one if you can find it or just go straight out and get a new one. New, they go for about $60...I mean you can buy 5 or 6 of them for the price of one Monette or Greg Black. 

I am very happy with the BT1.5 for my bass playing and use a T1 and T4.5 on my small and large bore tenors, respectively.

It'd be good to try all of the variants, but I'd start with the standard backbore model (the BT1 not the BT1S). Also, do give the lightweight version a try. Going by looks alone, it looks like a pretty skeletonized blank that might not be conducive to a big sound or be able to handle much volume but in my experience, that's not even remotely an issue. On the other hand, their heavy blanks do not suffer from some of the negative aspects of other heavy mouthpieces you might try. Response is still fantastic, soft playing is still fairly easy and it definitely has a malleable sound. I like owning LW and HW versions of the same mouthpiece. The LW gives access to more tone colors with less effort and is nice to have for situations where you don't need to put out so much volume. The HW version is great for louder settings - the projection is unbelievable.
ttf_fwbassbone

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I did pick up a BT-1S and used it on a gig over the weekend and a brass band rehearsal tonight.  I like it so will stay on it for awhile.  I will eventually want it in gold plate so if I stay on it I will likely make a trip to Anderson Plating. 
ttf_fwbassbone

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

Just a quick update.  I did go back to my gold Griego GP6.  It just fits me, maybe I'll quit trying different mouthpieces.....nah...
ttf_svenlarsson

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Quote from: fwbassbone on Oct 02, 2017, 07:44PMJust a quick update.  I did go back to my gold Griego GP6.  It just fits me, maybe I'll quit trying different mouthpieces.....nah...

I like Griego GP6 a lot. It has a good timbre, fits very good in brassband.
ttf_svenlarsson

Stork Bass Trombone ?

Quote from: fwbassbone on Oct 02, 2017, 07:44PMJust a quick update.  I did go back to my gold Griego GP6.  It just fits me, maybe I'll quit trying different mouthpieces.....nah...

I like Griego GP6 a lot. It has a good timbre, fits very good in brassband.

Return to “Mouthpieces”