V-shaped cups

ttf_hyperbolica

V-shaped cups

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I've had great success with the Doug Elliot mouthpieces on tenor. I don't have any reason to use anything else on tenor, I get the sound I want, the feel, if I don't play like McChesney, it's not the mouthpiece's fault. Image

Bass has been a different story. I didn't really commit to DE pieces on bass. I've piddled around with 2G, 1.5G, 1.25G, and a Ferguson V. I also have a EUPH 108 J8, but it hasn't excited me on bass, plus it's kind of a weird size that started from me buying a EUPH 104 J to try to keep the same rim on bass as I use on tenor.

Anyway, on bass, I've gravitated toward the Ferguson because it is big enough to get a good sound, yet not so big that it wrecks my tenor embouchure. Oh, I should mention that I'm kind of sensitive to rim size changes. It used to take me days to get used to the change between a 52e2 and a 6.5AL. The 1.5G size in general seems to work well for me, if I use the 1.25G too much, it strains my tenor chops.

The Horn Guys site has this to say about the Ferguson V:
QuoteFerguson V

A bass trombone mouthpiece in a New York 1.5G size, V shaped cup, for players wanting a smaller, most efficient bass trombone mouthpiece but with a wide comfortable rim, based on my Minick V, cup diameter 27.4 mm.
I'm guessing, but to me it seems like it's the V part of the Ferguson V that is so attractive. The sound has more life, better attacks, and like it says, it seems more efficient.

My question, and I guess this has to be aimed at Doug, is there anything in the DE mouthpieces line that uses V shaped cups, or do you have some other way of getting at what I'm liking about the Ferguson V so much?
ttf_Doug Elliott

V-shaped cups

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

My MB 109, J, J8 is around that size and is very easy to switch to and from.  All of my cups are not strictly V but are in that direction as opposed to bowl shaped mouthpieces.  And you already have the right shank.
ttf_hyperbolica

V-shaped cups

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Sep 01, 2017, 10:06AMMy MB 109, J, J8 is around that size and is very easy to switch to and from.  All of my cups are not strictly V but are in that direction as opposed to bowl shaped mouthpieces.  And you already have the right shank.
Thanks, Doug. I'll give the euph108j8 another try and see if it's close.
ttf_hyperbolica

V-shaped cups

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Sep 01, 2017, 10:06AMMy MB 109, J, J8 is around that size and is very easy to switch to and from.  All of my cups are not strictly V but are in that direction as opposed to bowl shaped mouthpieces.  And you already have the right shank.
Thanks, Doug. I'll give the euph108j8 another try and see if it's close.

Return to “Mouthpieces”