Screw on rims

ttf_CG2198

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_CG2198 »

I was wondering if anyone noticed any kind of difference between mouthpieces with detachable rims and a standard mouthpiece, particularly on mouthpieces from the same company that way you can really tell if there is a difference. Thank you!
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I haven't.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Only if you like to clink them together. Multi-part mouthpieces don't ring. Other than that no different playing-wise
ttf_sabutin

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Aug 31, 2017, 05:41PMI haven't.

Me neither...and I have done literally hundreds of blindfold tests.

S.
ttf_Matt K

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I don't know if you'll get a whole lot of people who have ever tried, for example, a Greg Black 3G (1 piece) vs. a Greg Black 3G (2 piece) although there are people out there.  I only know of one person off the top of my head... he is playing in one of the reserve bands now. When I went to school with him, he played a Hammond 21BXL.  He switched to a Hammond 21BLX with a delrin rim (same size) that he much preferred to the one piece  around his Jr year. He recently switched to an Elliott XB116/M/M10 after playing that 2 piece Hammond for probably the better part of 4 years. 

So if you prefer delrin/lexan as I and the person from the previous anecdote do, then you don't have much of a choice.  If you go with silver/gold plated brass then perhaps its a question worth asking. I'm in the first camp; I've threaded probably 15 mouthpieces and have owned the majority of Doug's cup depths at one time or another.  So for me, every piece I've ever threaded has worked better for me after I've had it threaded and put on an Elliott lexan rim. Including steel and titanium.  I also have a tendency to try out several pieces and ultimately gravitate to one of Doug's too. YMMV though!
ttf_Exzaclee

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

The best piece I've ever played is a screw rim, but I'm pretty sure a solid one piece of it would play just as well  Image

ttf_Exzaclee

Screw on rims

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

The best piece I've ever played is a screw rim, but I'm pretty sure a solid one piece of it would play just as well  Image

Return to “Mouthpieces”