New trombone

ttf_Hmb

New trombone

Post by ttf_Hmb »

I am currently a senior playing 1st chair in my high school band. In college, I plan on joining the concert band, jazz band, and/or pep band, but coming from a small school not exposed to a wide variety of music or techniques, I will most likely be on 3rd or 2nd part.

I'm looking into purchasing a new trombone soon so that I can get used to it now and have it ready for college. I'm mainly looking at tenors (mostly .525), but I am open to F-attachments too. Right now I play a Yamaha student trombone. What type/brand of trombone would be best for the college bands I'm considering? I'd prefer a horn under $1000 if possible.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Image
ttf_Tarkus697

New trombone

Post by ttf_Tarkus697 »

I got through a pretty rigorous music program in college using a Bach 36BO. Played first chair for concert band, jazz ensemble, and was also in the brass quintet.

A used one of those in good shape should be in your wheelhouse. Hold onto your student horn for pep band. Don't want to risk dinging up your regular player.
ttf_Ellrod

New trombone

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Used Yamaha .525 w F?
ttf_BillO

New trombone

Post by ttf_BillO »

Keep your Yamaha and add something like a King 4B-F, Benge 165F or Benge 190F.  Either can be had for around $1K.  I recommend the .547 since, if you have the choice, 3rd seat for concert band (or 4th in a jazz band) is more interesting than 2nd, unless you are doing traditional Big Band music, then 2nd is the solo seat.  The bigger horn will come in handy in 3rd or 4th and your Yamaha can play 2nd or 1st quite well.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

New trombone

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: BillO on Aug 16, 2017, 10:45PMKeep your Yamaha and add something like a King 4B-F, Benge 165F or Benge 190F.  Either can be had for around $1K.  I recommend the .547 since, if you have the choice, 3rd seat for concert band (or 4th in a jazz band) is more interesting than 2nd, unless you are doing traditional Big Band music, then 2nd is the solo seat.  The bigger horn will come in handy in 3rd or 4th and your Yamaha can play 2nd or 1st quite well.

Agreed! Getting a .547 in addition to your Yamaha that you have is probably a good option to pursue. There are many used .547 horns that can be had on eBay and here in the forum that would suit your purpose well.
ttf_Hmb

New trombone

Post by ttf_Hmb »

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm definitely going to try out an F-attachment and increase the bore size from what I have now. Concert band is probably my top choice and it sounds like a medium or large bore F-attachment will fit that setting well.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

New trombone

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Get a used 36B, yamaha large bore with F attach, 88H, or 42b. Used. Find them at The Brass Ark or through DJ Kennedy  (is he active around here lately?)

Possibly check out Wessex.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

New trombone

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Get a used 36B, yamaha large bore with F attach, 88H, or 42b. Used. Find them at The Brass Ark or through DJ Kennedy  (is he active around here lately?)

Possibly check out Wessex.

Return to “Instruments”