Yamaha YBL 612 D-tuning slide !!???

ttf_Vintage88H

Post by ttf_Vintage88H »

does anybody know where i could get a D-tuning slide for the Yamaha YBL 612 bass trombone???

Thanks for your help!!
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I checked the yamaha japan parts website, and it is unfortunately not listed on the schematics there. Just the Eb crook. 

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/WIND_ENGLISH/orders/Product/Model/model_e.php?model_id=104566
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I've checked into this as well, they are no longer available from Yamaha, and anyone who has one isn't parting with it.  I've asked my local brass tech and been told that he could easily make me one.  It might be even easier for a tech to take an Eb slide and lengthen the tubing to D (less fabrication) involved. I do believe Yamaha still has the parts for the Eb slide available.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Personaly, I would just have a tech lengthen the Eb slide you have. Mine currently sits in my case, as I never put it on. The D slide is the one that is on, even though it adds a LOT to the weight, because for some reason they also put a 7 inch tuning slide on the end of it as well.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

I’d suggest looking for a spare Eb slide, and having THAT slide modified. I bought an aftermarket one, as mine came originally with just the Eb. MK should be able to do it, as well as fabricating the receivers. I know that’s FAR from you.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

You could do what the duo gravis does that has a sleeve that the original tuning slide fits inside of. You have to find tubing that's the proper diameter yo make hat work though.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 08:39 AMYou could do what the duo gravis does that has a sleeve that the original tuning slide fits inside of. You have to find tubing that's the proper diameter yo make hat work though.
The problem is that there isn't much room to work with. The Eb and D slides have S bends immediately after the valve tuning slide, to avoid the F attachment wrap

http://www.plander.com.br/produto/trombone-de-vara-baixo-yamaha-ybl612-laqueado-usado/1085000085133
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Yesterday at 07:49 PMThe problem is that there isn't much room to work with. The Eb and D slides have S bends immediately after the valve tuning slide, to avoid the F attachment wrap

http://www.plander.com.br/produto/trombone-de-vara-baixo-yamaha-ybl612-laqueado-usado/1085000085133

That's actually similar to a duo gravis d attachment. The bend on the d sleeve is almost immediate. What I'd do is have a tech remove the crook from your current Eb slide and add tubing to the top where the crook was. It looks like there's room for a sleeve there. Then add legs to the crook so it can inserr into the new sleeve.

Although I agree about making it permanent either. At least for me. I've never used the Eb slide on mine other than to try it out in a practice once.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Yesterday at 07:49 PMThe problem is that there isn't much room to work with. The Eb and D slides have S bends immediately after the valve tuning slide, to avoid the F attachment wrap

That's actually similar to a duo gravis d attachment. The bend on the d sleeve is almost immediate. What I'd do is have a tech remove the crook from your current Eb slide and add tubing to the top where the crook was. It looks like there's room for a sleeve there. Then add legs to the crook so it can inserr into the new sleeve.

Although I agree about making it permanent either. At least for me. I've never used the Eb slide on mine other than to try it out in a practice once.

Return to “Instruments”