Conn 52HL vs. new Conn 66H

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Why make two virtually identical trombones at the same price?

Anyone know what the difference is?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm curious myself. They appear pretty close to identical specification wise. 

Also, gotta love Conn marketing material:

QuoteThe 52HL is similar to the original 52H except that it comes with a large bore slide instead of the 52H's medium-large dual bore model. With the large bore slide, the 52HL thus becomes a great choice for advancing players who want an affordable, well-built American made large bore horn, without sacrificing tone quality, eveness of scale or durability. The horn is thus similar in many respects to Conn's top of the line 88H, though at a fraction of the cost. (emphasis mine)

52HL price on Hickeys: $2039
88H price on Hickeys: $2409

I guess it's technically a fraction, albeit a large fraction  Image

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Matt K on Jul 28, 2017, 11:30AMI'm curious myself. They appear pretty close to identical specification wise. 

Also, gotta love Conn marketing material:
 (emphasis mine)

52HL price on Hickeys: $2039
88H price on Hickeys: $2409

I guess it's technically a fraction, albeit a large fraction  Image

Yes, pretty close to 5/6.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

GM and Ford have been notorious about this stuff for years. Interesting how it’s now in the trombone world of pricing. I used to have an Olds Roadmaster w/ the snazzy engine. Used to get the Chevy Caprice service parts, as they were always cheaper. Platform cars and platform trombones.....
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I had a 52H once. The horn seemed to me to be made of Benge large bore parts, just like the Benge 175F, except for the duo bore slide. It played nicely, though I preferred my more expensive top of the line horns. As long as the price is attractive it would be a good mid priced horn, but if the price is only a little less than an 88H, I would say just go for the 88H. Just one person's opinion.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I had a 52H once. The horn seemed to me to be made of Benge large bore parts, just like the Benge 175F, except for the duo bore slide. It played nicely, though I preferred my more expensive top of the line horns. As long as the price is attractive it would be a good mid priced horn, but if the price is only a little less than an 88H, I would say just go for the 88H. Just one person's opinion.

Return to “Instruments”