Difference between King 3BF Silversonic models

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm looking to pick up a King 3BF Silversonic for use with my horn band/as a spare horn and I've come across a few that look good but due to model years, are labeled differently.

Example:

1960's King 3BF Silversonic H. N. White era

King 3BF Concert Silversonic dated between 1965-1970

Looking at the pics, the horns look almost identical aside from the brass wash inside the bell on the Concert model and the etching on the two bells.

Any insight here? 

Thanks,
Alan
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Main differences would probably be in the lead pipe and possibly the outer slide. I know that originally the leadpipes were 1 piece, but later went to two piece, however I do not know when that changeover occurred.

The outer slides on King trombones used to have soldered on oversleeves, but moved to drawn in oversleeves.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

There may or may not be different slide frog ferrules. Expanded crook ends on newer and actual ferrules on older. Also I believe there were some changes with the valve linkages. String on the old ones but I'm not sure when they went to the nylon mechanical linkage. A buddy of mine has an anniversary model with the new link. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

King had a mechanical kidney-shaped linkage since the 1950s on the 3B.  The larger models used string (4B, 5B, etc.)

The "wash" in the bell is gold.  It's quite thin and was usually on all Silver Sonics.  It's pretty easy for it to be wiped off, especially when polishing the bell.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 17, 2017, 11:18AMKing had a mechanical kidney-shaped linkage since the 1950s on the 3B.  The larger models used string (4B, 5B, etc.)

The "wash" in the bell is gold.  It's quite thin and was usually on all Silver Sonics.  It's pretty easy for it to be wiped off, especially when polishing the bell.

FWIW, my 3BF (circa 1978) has string linkage.  Image   My parents bought me the horn new.

--Andy in OKC.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 17, 2017, 11:18AMKing had a mechanical kidney-shaped linkage since the 1950s on the 3B.  The larger models used string (4B, 5B, etc.)

FWIW, my 3BF (circa 1978) has string linkage.  Image   My parents bought me the horn new.

--Andy in OKC.

Return to “Instruments”