Yamaha 682G Information

ttf_anonymous

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Moderator Edit:

This topic was merged from a classified thread: see explanation here.

Apologies for a stupid question but how do you know it has a gold-brass bell?
Best wishes
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Good question. Yamaha said so and indicated that in its' marketing. Yamaha stated that there were only 100 or so of these with the gold plating that escaped the factory
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Yamaha YSL 682G
Post by: BGuttman on Oct 28, 2006, 06:53PM
Just for the record, I have been playing a 682G since 1986.  It's a 682 with a Yamaha 1-piece 8" gold brass bell.  Same semi-open attachment (no tight bends) and same oversize conventional rotor (but not as big as the 682B).

I bought mine from Osmun and had the bumpers replaced with springs, so I probably have the only 682 with Conn-like slide springs.  Btw, the slide is 20 years old and still fast as greased lightening.

I used my 682G for everything, including Orchestra, Concert Band, and even put a big mouthpiece on it to make a "chamber bass".  My one complaint about this instrument is that the two slides together aren't long enough to make the attachment an E; I'd have liked a crook to replace the smaller one that put the attachment in flat E for the times I needed it.

ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

To clarify, there is a difference between gold plating and gold brass.  From what I'm seeing in this thread, the term is being used interchangeably here but I might be overlooking something.

Gold plating is when you literally plate a raw brass bell with a layer of silver and then a layer of gold.

Gold brass is a brass alloy that is somewhere between yellow brass and pure copper (ca. 85% copper and 15% zinc memory serving).

I'm assuming that this horn is the latter, correct?
ttf_BGuttman

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have no idea about Anniversary models.  The Yamaha 682 had a yellow brass bell and the 682G had a gold brass (85/15) bell.

There was no gold plating when I bought mine.  Back then only mouthpieces and custom horns were plated with gold.  And the Yamaha horns made for the Canadian Brass.
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

This is likely the the case...gold/brass.I stand corrected, Tho I will not take a sample to the assayers. It's a wee bit heavy but not that heavy
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Ryebone on Yesterday at 01:54 PMThis is likely the the case...gold/brass.I stand corrected, Tho I will not take a sample to the assayers. It's a wee bit heavy but not that heavy

No harm, no fowl! It's a common mistake since gold plated bells are rare but good to know the distinction!  Image
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Very similar to the current YSL-620 (tenor), but for the gold brass bell?
ttf_routemaster

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_routemaster »

Just to clarify. Am I  right in suggesting this 682 has a gold-plated yellow brass bell?
(I had a  682G in 1986 and often regret selling it).
ttf_BGuttman

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

620G is also gold brass bell.  The 620 replaced the 682 and looks almost identical.
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 03:19 PM620G is also gold brass bell.  The 620 replaced the 682 and looks almost identical.

I think the 620G refers to the bass trombone (I recently bought a YBL-620G).

According to Yam, the YSL-620 (no G) is the .547 tenor model. I'd really like to try the current 620 model. I'm quite pleased with my bass.
ttf_klimchak

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_klimchak »

I just looked at the pictures. Since the model is just marked as 682, it is probably a yellow brass bell.  It does indeed look to be gold-plated since the 682 normally has some nickel ferrules and hand grips.
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I think that's the quality of the pictures. The lighting is a little off. They look silverish on my screen.  Ryebone, could you maybe take some pictures outside or with better lighting? That would definitely "shed some light" on the situation! If it is indeed gold plated, it might make your horn with a little more to boot if it is actually gold plated.

I'll also go ahead and split this thread into the instruments section so that we can keep the information about the model and not totally hijack your ad posting.
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Just found this on Google images but the original link from BAC seems irretrievable. I will post some more pics tomorrow. I have seen gold/brass, rose, et al but not quite like this.
Thank you all for your intellectual curiosity and healthy discussion in this

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1008/5226/products/1_1cae616c-6767-4609-8c2d-4fcc3c5702a9_grande.jpeg%3Fv%3D1460667924&imgrefurl=http://www.bacmusicshop.com/products/yamaha-ysl-682-symphonic-trombone-w-f-attachment-gold-plated-special-edition&h=400&w=224&tbnid=D8ljhcCDjMQhCM&tbnh=300&tbnw=168&usg=__2BPqD4vKHZXuingSxj8eicrusvI=&docid=MYjw6uVTF-Uy1M
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Certainly Yamaha could confirm gold plating v gold brass?

Try:

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

R

ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Done...
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

At the time of this writing, there is a classified ad for a 682.  The information about it seems like something worth preserving, so I'm going to merge the thread into this one with all the comments here.

The original ad had this text:

QuoteOriginal owner, low miles, gold plated 100th Anniversary limited production, very good + condition. Small wear spots on handslide brace, plastic tube around neck contact point. no dings on bell, slide is exceptionally smooth,  no wear on stockings. No hiccups throughout range low to high. Maroon coffin case has 100th Anniversary plate on lid
Would trade for Conn 14H trigger, Courtois AC306B or $1,650. shipped/CONUS. If I'm way off base please educate me but a respected forum member suggested a range of prices and I selected the lower end to hopefully facilitate a sale
Jerry Hyman, Brevard, NC

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32339867@N04/?
The confusion comes into play as to what the 682 actually is. There is some information about the 682R and 682G, but this horn has a goldish color. Leading to the question as to whether or not the horn is gold plated or if its simply gold brass... or yellow brass and the pictures were taken with soft white lighting leading to the coloration. (In the original picture, even the nickel ferrules and such appear to be gold in color).
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

I have contacted Yamaha Support with all the info/spec and am waiting for an answer
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Ryebone on Yesterday at 04:54 AMI have contacted Yamaha Support with all the info/spec and am waiting for an answer
Image. I suspect it's gold brass but it would be quite a pleasant surprise for you if it was indeed gold plated!

Are the ferrules and some of the tubes nickel? (silver in appearance at least)?

ttf_routemaster

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_routemaster »

I would still like to venture that this gold-plated anniversary edition YSL-682 has a gold-plated, yellow brass bell.  But this would be impossible to confirm just by looking at it.
ttf_stanzabone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 27, 2017, 01:47PMI have no idea about Anniversary models.  The Yamaha 682 had a yellow brass bell and the 682G had a gold brass (85/15) bell.

There was no gold plating when I bought mine.  Back then only mouthpieces and custom horns were plated with gold.  And the Yamaha horns made for the Canadian Brass.
The Canadian Brass had a whole set of instruments made that were completely gold-plated; I played Gene Watts' horn for a couple of minutes after a CB concert in Moose Jaw way back in... 1978?  Image Image Image
They were some of the very first Yamaha Custom models. I don't know a model number for his horn. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I believe part of the conversation I had w/him at the time involved Yamaha & Schilke doing some cross-pollination on either the design or manufacturing side of things. I may be way off, he may have been talking about his mouthpiece! Anyone with better knowledge of the history here?
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Still waiting to hear from Yamaha but took this photo this AM. Note that braces are gold, not nickel
http://flic.kr/p/Warp45 
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Pic from today. Note braces are gold, not nickel
http://flic.kr/p/Warp45
ttf_BGuttman

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: stanzabone on Jun 28, 2017, 06:36AMThe Canadian Brass had a whole set of instruments made that were completely gold-plated; I played Gene Watts' horn for a couple of minutes after a CB concert in Moose Jaw way back in... 1978?  Image Image Image
They were some of the very first Yamaha Custom models. I don't know a model number for his horn. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I believe part of the conversation I had w/him at the time involved Yamaha & Schilke doing some cross-pollination on either the design or manufacturing side of things. I may be way off, he may have been talking about his mouthpiece! Anyone with better knowledge of the history here?

The Yamaha-Schilke collaboration resulted in the 64x series of tenor trombones (later the 68x and finally the 6x0).  They also made a compact CC tuba for Daellenbach (the gig bag for which fitted my Mirafone F tuba perfectly).  I don't know about the trumpets or horns.
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Mark Sorlie of Yamaha Chicago just confirmed that this Limited Production 100th Anniversary Model YSL682 is in fact a fully gold plated instrument.
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Ryebone on Jun 28, 2017, 01:20PMMark Sorlie of Yamaha Chicago just confirmed that this Limited Production 100th Anniversary Model YSL682 is in fact a fully gold plated instrument.

Wow, that's awesome!  Gold plated trombones are pretty rare.  I'm not sure how it will influence the price to be honest, I can't recall ever seeing a fully gold plated one for sale. I suspect it'll go for more but I don't know for sure.

You may want to consider pulling it off the classifieds here and checking with someone who does know like Noah Gladstone at brassark.  He'd probably be able to get you the best price given its rarity, or at least give you a good idea what its worth.
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Thank you,Matt! I am thrilled either way
ttf_Ryebone

Yamaha 682G Information

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Thank you,Matt! I am thrilled either way

Return to “Instruments”