Help with choosing instruments

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Hi trombonists, I wonder if you get help with choosing instruments?

Here is my Holton 180,
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhK0u_K6wGsXxKXRyGA

Here is my Conn 70h,
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhK0td0pcoi4UB-whvA

I also wonder if some of you that know this style and music have some tips both technically, timing and musically? I seem to play everything the same boring way.

Leif

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I own a 70h, and I can tell you I don't get that kind of sound out of it. Your sound on both instruments is very rich and centered compared to my bass playing. I personally have a hard time soloing on bass, and my intonation wavers a lot, especially with bigger mouthpieces. Your use of vibrato I think was particularly effective, especially on a bass. The sound on the 180 is maybe a little clearer than the 70h.

If you want to hear yourself in a different style, then maybe play a different style. I think the things you've recorded have all been kind of slow ballads. Try something a bit more up tempo, like maybe "it don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing". Or maybe try to fill some of the long notes with little improv snippets.

Best of luck.

ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Leif you always sound most at home with your 70h and 60h. What's funny is your TR180 always seems to record better than your Conns, there's more tone and color in the Holton recordings in comparison to the 70h. I'm sure your Conns sound better in person!

Either way I still prefer how you sound on your Conns though Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Jun 19, 2017, 01:33PMI own a 70h, and I can tell you I don't get that kind of sound out of it. Your sound on both instruments is very rich and centered compared to my bass playing. I personally have a hard time soloing on bass, and my intonation wavers a lot, especially with bigger mouthpieces. Your use of vibrato I think was particularly effective, especially on a bass. The sound on the 180 is maybe a little clearer than the 70h.

If you want to hear yourself in a different style, then maybe play a different style. I think the things you've recorded have all been kind of slow ballads. Try something a bit more up tempo, like maybe "it don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing". Or maybe try to fill some of the long notes with little improv snippets.

Best of luck.

Hyperbolica, thanks a lot for your words! And maybe try a smaller mouthpiece to make your 70h sing? You told "Or maybe try to fill some of the long notes with little improv snippets."

You told exactly what I should do and I'm both a little lazy and afraid to do it, but you told indeed what I need to work on.

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jun 19, 2017, 05:43PMLeif you always sound most at home with your 70h and 60h. What's funny is your TR180 always seems to record better than your Conns, there's more tone and color in the Holton recordings in comparison to the 70h. I'm sure your Conns sound better in person!

Mr. Deacon, thanks a lot! The Holton is more modern than the old 70h so its much more loud when I blow it right after the 70h. So what I should have done is not to play them straight after each other. Lately I had to play the Holton more. But I still think the Conn sings a little more?

Leif

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Jun 19, 2017, 01:33PMI own a 70h, and I can tell you I don't get that kind of sound out of it. Your sound on both instruments is very rich and centered compared to my bass playing. I personally have a hard time soloing on bass, and my intonation wavers a lot, especially with bigger mouthpieces. Your use of vibrato I think was particularly effective, especially on a bass. The sound on the 180 is maybe a little clearer than the 70h.

Best of luck.

Hyperbolica, thanks a lot for your words! And maybe try a smaller mouthpiece to make your 70h sing? You told "Or maybe try to fill some of the long notes with little improv snippets."

You told exactly what I should do and I'm both a little lazy and afraid to do it, but you told indeed what I need to work on.

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jun 19, 2017, 05:43PMLeif you always sound most at home with your 70h and 60h. What's funny is your TR180 always seems to record better than your Conns, there's more tone and color in the Holton recordings in comparison to the 70h. I'm sure your Conns sound better in person!

Mr. Deacon, thanks a lot! The Holton is more modern than the old 70h so its much more loud when I blow it right after the 70h. So what I should have done is not to play them straight after each other. Lately I had to play the Holton more. But I still think the Conn sings a little more?

Leif

Return to “Performance”