Canadian Brass Trombone

ttf_Dukesboneman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Has anyone played/owned one of these? How do they play compared to an 88H or a 42?
I know that`s subjective but do they lean more towards a cConn or a Bach - generally speaking?
ttf_BGuttman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This was set up for Gene Watts and I believe he liked a more Conn like sound.  Certainly the stuff he played with CB was more commercial and less symphonic.

I forget.  Was this make by Getzen, Schilke, or Yamaha?
ttf_Dukesboneman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Getzen
ttf_fsgazda

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_fsgazda »

ttf_BillO

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_BillO »

Never played a Canadian Brass trombone, but I do have a mouthpiece that belonged to Gene Watts! Image

Pretty interesting mouthpiece too.  Very nice velvety sound with a deep 'V' shaped thin-wall cup, smallish back-bore and wide-ish '5' sized rim.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I have played a few of the Cdn. Brass horns - I've had a couple of students that had them. There were 2 different models - an intermediate .525/.547 dual bore and the professional .547 model. Seems to me there were other differences than just the slide bore. Bells were either gold or red (Red on the .547, I think?). Fairly light bells, and a slide without oversleeves.

Nice playing instruments, with some Getzen/Edwards characteristics, and a bit more Conn-like than Bach-like. They were priced fairly well, and I had a couple of young students that were moving to a larger instrument where the dual bore was a nice fit. It gave them a chance to start getting a bigger sound while still developing high range and control of the air.

Funny story: When my orchestra toured Europe, I was hoping to try some German/Austrian trombones, and did a bit of research to find out where there were decent music stores in the places we were playing. In a small Austrian city, I took a cab over to a store to try some horns. The owner tried to push a Cdn. Brass trombone on me to try, and through the language barrier I had to make him understand that I was looking for a German trombone, and was from Canada. It seemed to be a long way to go to try something that I could find in a local shop.

I remember liking those horns, and they are a professional instrument that could be played professionally, but are certainly a good choice for a strong amateur, a young student, or someone who only has occasional use for a larger F attachment instrument.

Jim Scott
ttf_Dukesboneman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Thanks, I`m looking forward to getting mine soon
ttf_Whitbey

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I had tried one back in the early 1990's and liked it better then the Bach. So few choices back then I was just excited to find something other then a Conn or a Bach. As I stuck out finding one to buy I finally called the Getzen factory to find they stopped making them. But they had a new line of horns called Edwards. I got connected to Dave Taylor I believe. A Bass bone guy that set me up with my first Edwards horn.   
ttf_vegasbound

Canadian Brass Trombone

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

As I may have said in another thread I had one of the first ones in the UK in the early 90's and it was a great horn, I sold it when I stopped playing but still regard it as the best lathe bore I have owned!
ttf_Dukesboneman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Well my Canadian Brass Horn came yesterday. I can`t stop playing it.
Beautiful full dark sound, great slide, slots really well.
Not a huge difference when going from my 42B and the CB. I`m really loving it.
Mine is a straight model and silver plated. Got the horn from the Brass Exchange.
Doug is a wonderful person to work with.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Canadian Brass Trombone

Well my Canadian Brass Horn came yesterday. I can`t stop playing it.
Beautiful full dark sound, great slide, slots really well.
Not a huge difference when going from my 42B and the CB. I`m really loving it.
Mine is a straight model and silver plated. Got the horn from the Brass Exchange.
Doug is a wonderful person to work with.

Return to “Instruments”