First NBN post for me!!!

ttf_Graham Martin

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Finally the NBN has reached our area and I have just spent a couple of hours disconnecting my old ADSL system and connecting to the new service. For those of you that don't know (many I would think) NBN is Australia's new National Broadband Network, which is supposed to bring us up to speed with the rest of the world when it comes to the Internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network

NBN is the largest infrastructure project in Australia's history and it has been the subject of significant political contention, particularly about the speed. But the roll out has been fraught with problems and the liaison with users has the worst piece of customer service it has ever been my misfortune to come across. I was not ever advised of the disconnection of my service and only discovered the timing when my internet went dead mid morning. Image It took me an hour on the phone to find out what was going on. This despite the fact that I had placed an order for the new connection a couple of weeks back, when they told me a technician would visit on 15th June. They did send me a new Gateway and some connecting cables which I have been able to set up myself, but there was never any advice that the date of connection had been bought forward. I think half the problem is due to the fact that Telstra (my supplier) and NBN both use overseas support. The problem being that they apparently do not advise there support staff of any timings.

Possibly you are experiencing similar problems with The National Broadband Plan in America?

Anyway my internet and telephone appear to be working but I do not notice any increase in speed.   
ttf_Russ White

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_Russ White »

National Broadband plan? You're kidding, right?
ttf_Graham Martin

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I didn't think I was kidding. I read about it, where they said the Obama administration promoted the plan and FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, named the plan "his top priority".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Plan_(United_States)

According to the plan, one hundred million Americans do not have broadband at home and the U.S. continues to lag in Internet access speed. Very much the same situation as we had in Australia.

So, are you telling me the plan was never implemented?

Sad if so. I always look to the US to lead the race in internet technology.
ttf_BGuttman

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It didn't happen during Obama's Presidency.

And now since Mar-A-Lago and Trump Tower have fast internet, the current imPOTUS doesn't care.
ttf_Russ White

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Theses days the US leads the world only in the amount of money we spend on our military, the number of non-nationals we kill around the world, the number of our own citizens we put in prison, and the number of citizens who die or go bankrupt because of inadequate health care/ insurance. Other than that, we are somewhere in the bottom quadrant of developed countries in pretty much any measurable category.

ttf_robcat2075

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

We also have the most cats.
ttf_drizabone

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_drizabone »

NBN is great isn't it. I can read you much faster now.  Image
ttf_drizabone

First NBN post for me!!!

Post by ttf_drizabone »

NBN is great isn't it. I can read you much faster now.  Image