What Repairs are needed on this 88h and what era is is?

ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

I found this Conn 88H, and it's going to sell for pretty cheap, so I was wondering if it would be worth buying.  Is there anything like red rot, or any other major issues?  Cosmetics like lacquer loss doesn't matter but structural and mechanical problems are a no no, especially if they aren't able to be fixed.  You can't see the inner slide which is very important, but I'm getting them now.  Obviously the bell is an issue but I don't know if that affects the tone, but also I know that can be fixed.  Anyway any help would be appreciated!!

Also, the serial number is GF670107 which dates it around July 1976.  I know conns have eras, but I don't know them very well.  Would anyone mind also letting me know the quality of the conns of this time!       
ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

Alright I'm new to the site, how do you add pics?   Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Pictures are a problem and have been for at least the last 3 years.

Here's a note I wrote about it:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,75147.0.html

Note that since I wrote that our Gallery has become Read Only and you can't add any pictures to it.

You are stuck with having to host your images elsewhere on line and pointing to them.

Unless it was badly mistreated, a 1976 shouldn't have much red rot.  Dents and alignment?  Sure.

Good luck.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Those Pictures are really bad quality which either means the person isn't good with technology or they are intentionally hiding problems. Unfortunately you can't always tell what's wrong with pictures either. Could need several new parts. Could be basically ready to go.

Dents need rolled obviously that's actually not too expensive if you're okay with it not being cosmetically good. I'd budget $500 for repairs knowing it could be anywhere from probably $80-$900 to get it in the condition you want.

Reason it could cost so much is that there is a big dent in the neckpipe above the rotor casing. If the rotor casing is damaged you have to replace the rotor which can be $500 to replace alone. If the casing is not damaged the core still could have corrosion or otherwise be damaged. But again, it's hard to tell from those pictures and it could be fine.

If the inners need replaced, each are something like $150 last time I did something similar. a leadpipe for the upper inner ranges from $40-$200 depending on what you want to replace it with.

But those are worst case scenario and as I said, you could roll the dents and find that it's a great horn.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Those Pictures are really bad quality which either means the person isn't good with technology or they are intentionally hiding problems. Unfortunately you can't always tell what's wrong with pictures either. Could need several new parts. Could be basically ready to go.

Dents need rolled obviously that's actually not too expensive if you're okay with it not being cosmetically good. I'd budget $500 for repairs knowing it could be anywhere from probably $80-$900 to get it in the condition you want.

Reason it could cost so much is that there is a big dent in the neckpipe above the rotor casing. If the rotor casing is damaged you have to replace the rotor which can be $500 to replace alone. If the casing is not damaged the core still could have corrosion or otherwise be damaged. But again, it's hard to tell from those pictures and it could be fine.

If the inners need replaced, each are something like $150 last time I did something similar. a leadpipe for the upper inner ranges from $40-$200 depending on what you want to replace it with.

But those are worst case scenario and as I said, you could roll the dents and find that it's a great horn.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”