Tuning Preference

ttf_seanschramm

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

So this is more personal preference, or what would be considered more feasible (if that's the right word for this). I'm just curious on y'alls opinion with 2nd valve tuning. Do y'all prefer G, Gb, D, Eb, or some other random tuning. And tell me what you like about it. I have been using Gb for mine for a while, but am starting to move towards the uncommon D slide when I'm playing jazz or a really low part.
ttf_BGuttman

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I personally like my 2nd valve in Gb, although there are times when a G would be handy.

With a Bb/F/Gb/D Indy I can use the 2nd valve alone for notes where the F attachment might be off in 1st position.  Also, the Gb valve allows things like Bb in 4th.  Handy for some scalar runs in the lower part of the bass staff.

With my setup low C is right around where 4th position G is.  I find that G-C leaps are quite common.

While I like my setup, it's also the only one I've played for any amount of time.  I'd bet if I was playing a Bb/F/G/Eb attachment all the time I'd find it just as useful.

In summary, there's no one perfect setup.  I'd bet if there was, we'd all be playing it. Image
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 01, 2017, 09:49PMI personally like my 2nd valve in Gb, although there are times when a G would be handy.

With a Bb/F/Gb/D Indy I can use the 2nd valve alone for notes where the F attachment might be off in 1st position.  Also, the Gb valve allows things like Bb in 4th.  Handy for some scalar runs in the lower part of the bass staff.

With my setup low C is right around where 4th position G is.  I find that G-C leaps are quite common.

While I like my setup, it's also the only one I've played for any amount of time.  I'd bet if I was playing a Bb/F/G/Eb attachment all the time I'd find it just as useful.

In summary, there's no one perfect setup.  I'd bet if there was, we'd all be playing it. Image

I although I don't play bass much these days, I have played various models and configurations (single, dual, independent, dependent, etc). My personal bass trombone is the oft ridiculed Conn 83H; mine is one of the "good ones". It has the independent setup with the the 2nd rotor in G (Bb/F/G/Eb). I have to say you're right Bruce, it has some useful benefits; an easily accessible low E-flat scale (without going beyond 3rd or 4th) is one that comes to mind. I would imagine that it might come in handy for some older works scored for G bass also.
ttf_PSJ

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_PSJ »

I think some of it has to do with age.  When I was an undergrad in the mid to late '70s, Bb,F,G,Eb was the standard.  It is what I learned on and have always been more comfortable with.  Until recently I spent 6 years on a Getzen Custom with F and Gb.  Never was very comfortable with that set-up.  Matter of fact tried to tune it as close to F and G as I could.  Now I am very happy back on a indy with F and G.

It is what works for you!!!

Paul
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

My bass trombone has the second valve tuned to Gb. I really like it, but I have never tried one tuned to D. My first bass (a Conn 73H) had the second valve tuned to Eb. I really wasn't a big fan of the second valve being tuned to Eb because the low B was in 7th position, and the low C in 6th with both triggers depressed. I can definitely that I like my new bass with the second valve tuned to Gb a LOT more than my old one  Image
ttf_jackbird

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_jackbird »

I used to think F/G was the best, and I still like it, but it's better for those few instruments that have two independent valves but mostly play in the tenor range. A G valve is very useful on a tenor.

On the other hand, the F/Gb is also useful because it has a Bb/D/F triad in first position, and low C is out in ~4th. And for the adventurous, you can get Db and Gb in flat 1st position with the second valve.

In reality, it looks to me that most people buy independent basses, but very few actually use the valves independently. I used to think Doug Yeo was crazy or blind in his justification for using dependent horns, but now I see the wisdom.

A little off the deep end, I had given some thought to having an Eb crook for a single valve bass. The people who were mainly opposed to this were the die-hard double pluggers. Some of them seemed offended by the idea of using all 7 positions on a trombone. But as a tenor player, that's no problem for me.
ttf_tbathras

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: jackbird on Jun 02, 2017, 07:11AMI used to think F/G was the best, and I still like it, but it's better for those few instruments that have two independent valves but mostly play in the tenor range. A G valve is very useful on a tenor.

A little off the deep end, I had given some thought to having an Eb crook for a single valve bass. The people who were mainly opposed to this were the die-hard double pluggers. Some of them seemed offended by the idea of using all 7 positions on a trombone. But as a tenor player, that's no problem for me.

I actually decided against F/G tuning because it allowed me to get too lazy - never really *had* to move beyond 2nd or 3rd much. I decided that it was too much like a euph at that point, so I stuck with F/Gb.
ttf_BillO

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_BillO »

I've been playing a bass for less than a year now, but I've never really tried anything other than F/Gb.  I tune the Gb slide to give me a nicely tuned Db in 1st and use it for that frequently as that note (Db in the staff) has always been a problem for me.  That leaves Gb a bit flat in fist, but for some odd reason plying Gb in 5th has never been an issue.  It also puts the low C in near perfect 4th (at least on my horn).

It also seem that with F/Gb tuning you have access to many a convenient Bb.
ttf_Burgerbob

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I find F/Gb/D to be a nice balance between ability to use valves for more notes and keeping the low range farther in.

F/G is cool, but puts low C and B farther out than I really prefer.
ttf_EWadie99

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I'm a dependent (Bb/F/D) kind of guy and I did try out other tuning systems and I find the Bb/F/D to suit better for me.  I personally don't like indys. Image 
ttf_EWadie99

Tuning Preference

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I'm a dependent (Bb/F/D) kind of guy and I did try out other tuning systems and I find the Bb/F/D to suit better for me.  I personally don't like indys. Image 

Return to “Accessories”