Knockoff Edwards Bass Trombone?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

ttf_Joshua Brown

Post by ttf_Joshua Brown »

Definitely a knockoff! Thanks for spreading awareness.

www.facebook.com/EdwardsInstrumentCo/posts/10154895215414317

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

I hope the three bidders are aware of what they're bidding on.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on May 31, 2017, 10:52PMI hope the three bidders are aware of what they're bidding on.

Let's hope they are forum members and read this thread!
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

For amusement, I emailed the seller.  I am close to this.  I asked if I could come play test the horn.  Seemed open to it, and also mentioned that this may not be legit again.

Seller seems on the up-and-up about what he has, just doesn't really know anything about it.

If I get a chance I will swing by and take a look at it.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

This is, without a doubt, a Chinese copy.  I'm positive that is a Jinbao case, or a copy. Some Chinese factories copy other Chinese instruments. 
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: elmsandr on Jun 01, 2017, 08:21AMFor amusement, I emailed the seller.  I am close to this.  I asked if I could come play test the horn.  Seemed open to it, and also mentioned that this may not be legit again...

Yeah, the description does say as much.
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Says his plan is to now cancel the listing, as he is learning more. I haven't verified this, but sounds like he is trying to be on the up and up.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Seems like a trombone version of "What Would You Do?".

Say you owned this horn. If you bought it at an Edwards price, you've been robbed. You could sell it on, but you're not going to get anywhere near what you paid for it unless you mislead potential buyers. Even if you are completely honest and up front, who is to say that that a subsequent owner won't turn around and rip someone off?

What is the "right" thing to do in this situation? If it's a total piece of junk, you could just scrap it (assuming you can afford to do so). But what if it plays OK? Take it to an engraver and have a big "NOT" added to the engraving?
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

I saw this horn and noticed the weird bell bracing and was instantly confused. I was thinking just the bell was fake but I guess the whole instrument is!  Image
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Would someone fake the bell and not the rest of the instrument?  Interesting concept.  The price it sold for is also interesting.  You could probably get a slide and valve section of a real B454 for that. Why would someone pay so much for a fake?  To impress their friends?

There are probably a lot of cheaper basses that would perform better than this knock off...

I wonder if it would fit real Edwards parts?
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

WOW! I doubt that the person who payed 3.5k for that new it was fake. They sure will be disappointed when they open up their horn. I'm not sure even why you would buy a horn w/o knowing the parts. R.I.P. !  Image
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 09, 2017, 10:34PMWOW! I doubt that the person who payed 3.5k for that new it was fake. They sure will be disappointed when they open up their horn. I'm not sure even why you would buy a horn w/o knowing the parts. R.I.P. !  ImageBecause the seller didn't just come out and say "yeah, it's a knockoff"?

The buyer (and anyone else who bid the price up) probably thinks the seller doesn't know much about trombones and is just covering their backside, rather than thinking (as most of us here do) that the buyer is pretty certain it's a knockoff, but is taking the attitude of "well, it says Edwards and I'm not absolutely sure it's a knockoff."
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 09, 2017, 10:34PMWOW! I doubt that the person who payed 3.5k for that new it was fake. They sure will be disappointed when they open up their horn. I'm not sure even why you would buy a horn w/o knowing the parts. R.I.P. !  ImageBecause the seller didn't just come out and say "yeah, it's a knockoff"?

The buyer (and anyone else who bid the price up) probably thinks the seller doesn't know much about trombones and is just covering their backside, rather than thinking (as most of us here do) that the buyer is pretty certain it's a knockoff, but is taking the attitude of "well, it says Edwards and I'm not absolutely sure it's a knockoff."

Return to “Found on the Net”