Olds Special tuning slide stuck

ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Hi Folks,

My new to me horn has the tuning slide stuck.  I've tried gently heating the tubing and don't want to do any damage because the horn is in pristine condition.  It's blowing a little flat for me which is why I need to get it to move.

Thanks Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

There a tech in your area?  If its an easy fix, they might just do it for free when you walk in if they aren't too busy. If it isn't, they should probably be doing the work anyway!
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

If it is stuck in the out position, you might want to try putting some ice on the inner tubes to see if you can get them to shrink enough to break the bond. There is probably dried grease and/or corrosion keeping it stuck.

valve oil or penetrating oil can also help.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Yup. Penetrating oil then gentle pulling. I get a towel or chamois and use it as a pull strap to loop around the TS crook, grab the top off the bell stem and pull a bit then grab the back of the neck pipe and pull a bit. Repeat moving grip points to keep the forces even and not mess up the slide legs and hopefully it'll loosen.
ttf_Roscotrombone

Post by ttf_Roscotrombone »

Try wrapping a thick cloth round and gently tap it with a rubber mallet until the seal breaks.

I've done that on euphs/etc but you do have to be careful!

Ross
ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Well I got it loose without any damage.  Penetrating (Break Free) oil and gentle taps with a wooden block.  Still looking for the right MP to get the sound I'm more used to, i.e. Yamaha.  That has been my yardstick but perhaps I need to let that go.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

What mouthpiece are you using, and which Yamaha are you trying to sound like?

Also, make sure you clean off/up the tuning slide to prevent more sticking. If it's really bad you may need some 00 or 000 steel wool to get the crud off.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Post by ttf_Brer Cottonmouth »

Quote from: leec on May 17, 2017, 05:23PMWell I got it loose without any damage.  Penetrating (Break Free) oil and gentle taps with a wooden block.  Still looking for the right MP to get the sound I'm more used to, i.e. Yamaha.  That has been my yardstick but perhaps I need to let that go.

Have you tried an Olds 3 mpc? They sound great (to me) in all my Olds horns.
ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on May 17, 2017, 08:13PMWhat mouthpiece are you using, and which Yamaha are you trying to sound like?

Also, make sure you clean off/up the tuning slide to prevent more sticking. If it's really bad you may need some 00 or 000 steel wool to get the crud off.

The horn came with an Olds 12c, and I have another half dozen of various makes. Currently I'm liking a Yam 48 in my 354 and my 356.

The Olds Special seems to need more attention/effort to speak than either of the Yamaha horns.  I also have a Yam 47 and a Dennis Wick 5BS mouthpieces.

ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Quote from: Brer Cottonmouth on May 18, 2017, 09:54AMHave you tried an Olds 3 mpc? They sound great (to me) in all my Olds horns.

Olds 3 seem to be hard to find.  Which other mps would be equivalent?  Thanks
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

You'd be better off finding a strange BARITONE horn mouthpiece, with a deeper cup and smaller throat, to make a dual bore Olds trombone speak properly.

Try Wick or Bach BARITONE mouthpieces ( Non-"C" cup.) Like a Bach 7, not 7C, or something deeper. Or a Wick baritone small shank mouthpiece.

If you want the closest thing to a true Olds 3, in a mouthpiece you can buy again if you need a second one, I'd buy a SMALL SHANK Bach 6 1/2A, NOT AL, "A"-- the smaller throat.

If you have the money spare, and want the really close version of a true Olds 3 the BACH ARTISAN 6 1/2A, small shank, was the closest I could find in my years of searching.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

FWIW, Doug Elliott will make you a special shank to fit the horn but you may be investing as much in a mouthpiece as you paid into the horn.  If you ask he may also be able to modify a shank to fit the horn appropriately.  Making sure that you have a piece that matches can make a really huge difference.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Quote from: leec on May 30, 2017, 06:05AMOlds 3 seem to be hard to find.  Which other mps would be equivalent?  Thanks

The 3 was Olds' most popular mouthpiece, so you can still find them out there. There's one in really nice shape (or so it appears) on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TROMBONE-Olds-3-VINTAGE-mouthpiece-new-silver-Tenor-/332245748780?hash=item4d5b63cc2c:g:7wwAAOSwAPVZKtHf

There's one in not so nice shape for $220, but it comes with a decent-looking Olds Special.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-Vintage-F-E-OLDS-SPECIAL-TROMBONE-Olds-3-Mouthpiece-Serial-266XXX-/112423142295?hash=item1a2cf10397:g:ON8AAOSwCQZZK5-w
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Quote from: leec on May 30, 2017, 06:05AMOlds 3 seem to be hard to find.  Which other mps would be equivalent?  Thanks

The 3 was Olds' most popular mouthpiece, so you can still find them out there. There's one in really nice shape (or so it appears) on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TROMBONE-Olds-3-VINTAGE-mouthpiece-new-silver-Tenor-/332245748780?hash=item4d5b63cc2c:g:7wwAAOSwAPVZKtHf

There's one in not so nice shape for $220, but it comes with a decent-looking Olds Special.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-Vintage-F-E-OLDS-SPECIAL-TROMBONE-Olds-3-Mouthpiece-Serial-266XXX-/112423142295?hash=item1a2cf10397:g:ON8AAOSwCQZZK5-w

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”