Sluggish valve :/

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello. I just recently purchased a Conn 88hcl on eBay for a smoking deal and I love it. How it plays. It's in amazing condition, and well, I'd like to keep it. Only one problem. The valve (cl2000) is sooooo slow and sluggish. I can't figure out how to take it apart, it would be my first try taking a valve apart but it seems to work differently than a traditional rotor and so I gave up on taking it apart and just took off the main tuning slide and peered in and it looks like it's just way too lubricated. I tried pouring water on it a few times, but water isn't the best thing for oil.

Could anyone give me instructions on taking this apart, or some sort of substance I can buy to de-lube it some how? Or should I just wait? I know a repairman could fix it easier than I could but I want the experience and it just seems like such an easy fix. If there's already a topic about this send it my way. Thanks!

ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Take it to a repairman.
ttf_mwpfoot

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It "seems" like it should be easy but that's unfortunately not the case with CL valves. There are a number of things that could be wrong with it and there's a bit of a history with them being more problematic than traditional rotors. Among the things that can go wrong on any rotor in general that you also wouldn't necessarily be able to fix are the geometry on the linkage, corrosion in the valve, any kind of binding that it may be doing etc. You may end up damaging it if you try to do maintenance on it unless you really know what you're doing. 
ttf_Falladayne

Post by ttf_Falladayne »

I think I will take it in to a shop in a few days to get it looked at. While I'm on this topic, there is a connector which is no longer connected. Do you think that this could be re soldered, or should I just be very careful with it now and forever?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

What do you mean by a connector?

If it's the right one, it could be misaligning your valve causing the sluggishness.  Otherwise, if it was originally soldered it was soldered for a reason and should be resoldered.  Have your tech look at it.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Definitely take it to a tech so they can properly diagnose the issue. I don't see how too much lubrication would cause it to be slow, unless it was lubricated with too thick of an oil.

As Bruce said, if there is a connector that is unsoldered, that may mean that something is bent, which can put pressure on the valve casing, causing it to bind.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Definitely take it to a tech so they can properly diagnose the issue. I don't see how too much lubrication would cause it to be slow, unless it was lubricated with too thick of an oil.

As Bruce said, if there is a connector that is unsoldered, that may mean that something is bent, which can put pressure on the valve casing, causing it to bind.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”