Why Do Jazz Artists Always Play The Same Old Stuff?

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Flakey on Apr 28, 2017, 10:31AMI've flicked through this thread, mainly because it is long and I have to get ready for a gig tonight. But I have the gist of what people are saying. My comment is this: Just because people know lots of words and are good spellers and have excellent grammar, that doesn't make them qualified to be writers. A good writer needs good ideas, passion, anger, humour and life experience. A good writer needs to be honest with him or herself, they need to acknowledge their weaknesses and short comings. Then they need to find a way of putting all this into a book or a film or a play or a newspaper article. For it to be art it needs to be original, uncompromised and should provoke some feeling: hatred, surprise, joy, anger. What it musn't do is provoke indifference. Hacks provoke indifference. Hacks also hide behind technique and vocabulary. I think the same goes for all forms of art, especially music. There are too many indifferent, highly skilled hacks out there!!! Mind you, I know why, Alan Holdsworth...genius guitarist died peniless, had to have some kind of crowd funding to pay for his burial. He never had any money because he "stayed true to his art and true to himself" That is an enormous price to pay. The thing you have the most passion for can end up killing you!!! Me, I just try to play happy music and make people feel good. Here's me!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOEvv3mtMpc

Image  Image  Image  Image

I'm a fan of your playing and your group.

...Geezer
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

Quote from: bonenick on Mar 04, 2017, 05:43AMPaul is not the only jazz musician who happens to play modern songs...some are good, others not so. Yes, standarts are a big thing. But not the only one. I don't get what is this rant about...

Christopher Bill?
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 04, 2017, 06:18AMI think I first noticed that process when I was about 6 or 7...

https://www.youtube.com/v/GKvkuGhZI2Q

...and forever after that it all seemed terribly corny, every jazz singer is basically Jane Jetson, jazzing it up.

The first Jazz/Swing I was exposed to was as a kid watching television and hearing 60's tv show themes like:

The Jetsons
The Flintsones
Johnny Quest
Bewitched

and later............... Barney Miller and Night Court.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Apr 28, 2017, 10:48AM Image  Image  Image  Image

...Geezer

Not only a person with impeccable taste but a lovely chap as well!!!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Apr 28, 2017, 10:48AM Image  Image  Image  Image

...Geezer

Not only a person with impeccable taste but a lovely chap as well!!!

Return to “Performance”