Joykey

ttf_slushpump33

Joykey

Post by ttf_slushpump33 »

Any one with a joykey fitted, what do you think?

slushpump33
ttf_trmbtrmb

Joykey

Post by ttf_trmbtrmb »

I had a Joykey fitted about a year ago. I had the original waterkey put back on a few months ago. Andrew is a nice guy from the messages we exchanged. The idea is a great one. I regret to say it did not work for me. Two major problems experienced were drastically changed response  on the middle f partial. It became very hard to center. Second problem is after a week or so the water did not drain properly. I will say that ultra pure slide lube is recommended but for me the Yamaha slide works much better, this caused the filter to clog. I was having to take my slide off during concerts to empty water. Just my experience. Unfortunately I would not recommend the JoyKey for trombone unless you use exclusively ultra pure lube and that after installation you assure response is unchanged. I can see how it would work very well on other instruments.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Joykey

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

My shop has put many of them on... and Then swapped them back about a mouth later. Different reasons but in general I would not recommend them.
ttf_bonenick

Joykey

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I never saw a trumpet fitted with one. There must be a very good reason for that.Only standard, Amado and Saturn keys. Never tried Saturn ones.
ttf_Matt K

Joykey

Post by ttf_Matt K »

They seem quite well suited for horns because of their construction. I've known a few horn players who liked them. I've never tried one myself as I'm quite content with my Saturn keys.
ttf_conn88plyr

Joykey

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

I have a colleague who is a teacher at a well-respected instrument repair school. They have had some experience with the Joykey and their feedback was similar.  Their biggest complaint, at least in regards to trumpet and trombone, was that they could either set it up at the lowest point of gravity when in playing position OR in resting position; this meant that you could either remove the water when playing or when not playing but not both.  As Matt K said, they seem better suited for the physics of the horn versus other brass...
ttf_slushpump33

Joykey

Trombone players have problems with the joykey, its mostly to do with slide lubricant, I was using superslick (the smallest amount possible)with Ultra-pure. The wick clogged up in 3 days, I was prepared for this and had a spare handy. I gave my slide a relay good clean and lubricated it with just Ultra-pure, I get about 7-10 days before it starts to clog.I leave the water-wick in water with a little amway LOC till next change. If I have any emergencies I still have my old water key. It takes me about 30 seconds to change ww so that no problem. I used to have to stop sometimes 2 times to let out water while playing a page of Kopprach or other study,now I go for a whole secession with out reaching down to realise water. What joy.
ttf_BHolley85

Joykey

Post by ttf_BHolley85 »

Another option is the Pollard water key. Like a more massive
Amado key that doesn't get stuck and drains quickly. The only "problem" is that the hole has to be drilled before they're soldered on; just the breath of a drill bit ruins the seal. I've had no problems with lubricants clogging them up. Yamaha, Trombotine, Ultra Pure, and many different weights of valve/rotor oils on my euphoniums and customer trumpets and tubas have all been fine. 
ttf_slushpump33

Joykey

the Pollard water is no substitute for the joy key for for me. I can now play 2 or even 3 pages of music without having to stop and let out water. Before I fitted a Joykey I had to stop playing sometimes 2 times to let out water while playing a Kopprasch or Paudert study.

ttf_bonenick

Joykey

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Anyone tried a Saturn key on a tbone?
ttf_BGuttman

Joykey

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonenick on Today at 03:14 AMAnyone tried a Saturn key on a tbone?

There are a couple of threads about it.  It works much better than an Amado.
ttf_Matt K

Joykey

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I have one put on every one of my horns sooner than later.  Love them  Image
ttf_Matt K

Joykey

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I have one put on every one of my horns sooner than later.  Love them  Image

Return to “Accessories”