Olds Recording Trombone

ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

I have an Olds Recording trombone (L.A.) that is for the most part, rose brass bell and hand slide
I have seen some other versions of this horn that look sort of different -nickel silver(?) outer slide, and (more) yellow-ish type of bell.
Did they make two versions of this horn?
And, what exactly is a Re-O-Loy bell?
Thanks.
ttf_JohnL

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

The first couple years of LA production had high-copper brass outers. I think the alloy was probably 85-15 Cu-Zn. I suspect Re-o-Loy was the same thing. It's certainly lighter in color than the bells on Supers, which are identified in Olds literature as being "bronze" (one of the may names for 90-10 Cu-Zn is "commercial bronze").

I don't think the bell material changed - more likely the lacquer on the older horns has darkened a bit. I've got a couple late 1930's Supers with the original lacquer and it's pretty dark.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

Thanks.
Could it be that the older L.A. models had a higher copper content in the bell as well?
ttf_JohnL

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Arrowhead99 on Oct 11, 2015, 07:01PMThanks.
Could it be that the older L.A. models had a higher copper content in the bell as well? It's possible. I've seen too many oddball things from Olds to make a definitive statement about ANYTHING not being possible. I know they built some horns under government contract that had bells like an R-20 Recording  but in what looks like red brass.

Olds did make some material changes in the immediate post-WWII time period. One run of Supers had yellow brass tone rings. A few years back, a Super surfaced with a nickel tone ring, a bronze bell flare, a yellow bell tail, a yellow tuning slide crook, and a bronze neckpipe.
ttf_cb56

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_cb56 »

I think lacquer condition and/or lack of has alot to do with the appearance.
If you look at the two Recordings on the Brass Ark webpage they look alot different from each other.
of course the bottom one has the red brass slide so  Image

My '66 Recording has most of the lacqer in tact and it does have a little yellowish tint, but when I hold it up to my yellow brass Blessing B88 I see a big difference.

My '59 Recording had alot of lacqer missing so I stripped the rest off and shined it up. I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't more red looking. But now that it's starting to patina again, it's getting a nice brownish red look to it.

Here are my two bell sections together right after I stripped and polished the '59.
Left '66 w lacquer Right '59 no lacquer and shined up.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

The one I have looks like the bottom one of the Brass Ark photos- definitely rose brass.
I've seen a few on Ebay that more like the first one. I wasn't sure if this difference had to do with the lacquer being stripped, the age of the horn or a change in the design over the years. My guess is that Olds sort of changed their metal mix over the years (for whatwver reason)
ttf_bonesmarsh

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

When Olds changed alloys they did it for a specific model and it was marketed as such, and designed for a different need.

JohnL's website www.itsabear.com has astonishing photos to prove this to your eye.

The Recording was thick thick ( about 1/4") RED copper.
The P-15 was GOLD and thin.
Both are 8".

Recording was rey-o-lay I think.
P-15 is lub-a-loy.

If it is different they tell you so in the marketing material.

Funny thing about a Recording-- if you polish it its sort of futile. It'll polish but not the way a Conn does...different alloy. A conn gets grungy and attracts dirt and filth when it gets patina on unlacquered surfaces. The Olds remains free of grime. Quite something to see.
ttf_Stewbones43

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Oct 12, 2015, 06:13AM
The Recording was thick thick ( about 1/4") RED copper.
The P-15 was GOLD and thin.
Both are 8".

Is this a misprint??????????????????????? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

1/4in seems very thick for a bell Image That is half  the diameter of a Conn 6H bore!!! I suspect it would be a very heavy bell and not much resonance!

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_bonesmarsh

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Whuups. Yes, a misprint. Without a micrometer I'd guess it is easily 1/8th inch.

Regardless of the actual metrical measurement or a Recording bell it is easily 2X or 3X thicker than an Elkhart Conn red bell, or 3X the thickness of a P-15.

If you can find a good photo of a bell engraving on a Recording you'll see that it appears to be stamped or gouged out about 1/10" deep. It really does look like someone took a chisel to the bell...not a stamp or some sort of cheezie engraving gun. It is in there well thicker than any other bell is made. ( Aside from the other 1950s Olds bells.......I have a 10 3/8" yellow belled S-23 that is also 3X thicker than any Bach bell......)

I purchased 2 aftermarket counterweights from Hickey's and screwed them BOTH on in case I ever have to use a mute.
The nickle silver slide is built like a tank as well.

You want the analogy? Think of the thickness of the metal in the body of a 1950s American made automobile. Now think of the thickness of the metal in a modern Japanese auto. That's the difference between an Olds Recording and a modern Yamaha bell.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

I like the automobile analogy...
What counterweights did you buy from Hickey's that fit onto a Recording? That would be awesome without having to search for an original one.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Hickey's sells a generic one for about $26US. I've bought three in the past year. Two were about 6 oz. One was bigger maybe 7oz? 8oz? About 1" bigger and heavier. So, you're not going to be able to specify, or tell. I think they're Allied.
Order two. If they're not the same use the one you want. If they're different use the heavier one, or use the heavier one to the rear and use both.

They will NOT fit the braces on any Olds. However, they are English measurement, not metric. Go to Home Depot and grab a couple of bulk individual screws in a 10-32 ( maybe 8-32?, I forget)size about 1" or 1 1/4" long. They will replace the short screws that come with the generic weight. The longer screws make them fit anything. If you're worried about cosmetics you can buy nubs/nuts to cover the ends of the screws and make it look finished.

Home Depot is your friend.

I'm always a bit miffed that the Recording is a lot more work to play than a P-15. But I do a fair bit of work with a pro blues band in a three-horn section and THEN I'm thrilled to have the Recording.
Microphone? Who needs a mic? A healthy mezzo-forte with a Recording will eat through any amplified band. Show up to a gig with two electric guitars, electric bass, electric piano, and THEN be thrilled with a Recording.

ttf_anonymous

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a 1948

ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

oh my goodness that's beautiful! is it original condition or redone?
ttf_anonymous

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Arrowhead99 on Oct 12, 2015, 10:10PMoh my goodness that's beautiful! is it original condition or redone?
Original.
Bought it from the original owner, who was 80+ years old.  Image
He lives in western Colorado.

T.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Olds Recording Trombone

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Oct 12, 2015, 10:34AMHickey's sells a generic one for about $26US. I've bought three in the past year. Two were about 6 oz. One was bigger maybe 7oz? 8oz? About 1" bigger and heavier. So, you're not going to be able to specify, or tell. I think they're Allied.
Order two. If they're not the same use the one you want. If they're different use the heavier one, or use the heavier one to the rear and use both.

They will NOT fit the braces on any Olds. However, they are English measurement, not metric. Go to Home Depot and grab a couple of bulk individual screws in a 10-32 ( maybe 8-32?, I forget)size about 1" or 1 1/4" long. They will replace the short screws that come with the generic weight. The longer screws make them fit anything. If you're worried about cosmetics you can buy nubs/nuts to cover the ends of the screws and make it look finished.

Home Depot is your friend.

I'm always a bit miffed that the Recording is a lot more work to play than a P-15. But I do a fair bit of work with a pro blues band in a three-horn section and THEN I'm thrilled to have the Recording.
Microphone? Who needs a mic? A healthy mezzo-forte with a Recording will eat through any amplified band. Show up to a gig with two electric guitars, electric bass, electric piano, and THEN be thrilled with a Recording.

If they don't fit the braces of the Olds, would it mean that the contact points would be irregular? And since you have to buy longer screws, it sounds like it be wider than the horizontal plane of the tuning slide.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

The cylindrical hole down the length of the generic weight has a smaller diameter. It does fit-- but not snugly. There is a gap on both sides...and it isn't flush.

Hence the need for longer screws to hold it in place.
ttf_anonymous

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I modified a King counterweight by assembling it with the screws and drilling the hole larger. 
ttf_anonymous

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Oct 17, 2015, 07:05AMThe cylindrical hole down the length of the generic weight has a smaller diameter. It does fit-- but not snugly. There is a gap on both sides...and it isn't flush.

Hence the need for longer screws to hold it in place.

Okay thanks! I guess it's better than nothing...
ttf_greenbean

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I have an Olds counterweight for sale.  You can PM me.
ttf_Davidus1

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_Davidus1 »

Quote from: tsmart on Oct 12, 2015, 06:48PMI have a 1948

That is a beautiful trombone!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Olds Recording Trombone

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: Davidus1 on May 11, 2017, 07:24PM
That is a beautiful trombone!

+1  Image
ttf_crazytrombonist505