How to behave on an internet forum

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I lurve how you Britishers say "Nazi". Lol. Lol @ fanboys.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
ttf_SandyMBarrows

Post by ttf_SandyMBarrows »

Consider me chastised! Image

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

That video is great!  Maybe we should "sticky" it?  Image
ttf_evan51

Post by ttf_evan51 »

So-----when are you Nazis going to let let us start A VIDEO GAMES DISCUSSION TOPIC!!???
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Ur off topic. Search moar plz.
ttf_play_louder

Post by ttf_play_louder »

LOL I agree

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Hmmm. That's odd, PL. Why isn't your comment large, green and moving?)

(Ah. Fixed it!)
ttf_Baron von Bone

Post by ttf_Baron von Bone »

My understanding of Godwin's Law is that as a contentious discussion develops the probability of someone accusing someone else thinking like Hitler/a Nazi approaches one, not that someone will act like a Nazi.

A few things weren't addressed in that bit that could have been (not to knock it--I thought it was pretty good).

One would be insulting others' intelligence repeatedly (presuming everyone is or should be as credulous and intellectually irresponsible as you are), another getting bent all out of shape if anyone dares to call you on it as if your ideas should get a free pass or as if you hadn't presented them on a public forum. Narcissistically whining about a discussion going on that you aren't interested in would be another.

Others?

Byron (the skeptic)
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Quote from: evan51 on Feb 20, 2008, 06:37PMSo-----when are you Nazis going to let let us start A VIDEO GAMES DISCUSSION TOPIC!!???

Erm... remember that part about curling one out in yer Auntie's teapot? That would be applicable here.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Baron von Bone on Feb 21, 2008, 04:47AMMy understanding of Godwin's Law is that as a contentious discussion develops the probability of someone accusing someone else thinking like Hitler/a Nazi approaches one, not that someone will act like a Nazi.

That's my understanding, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Quote"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
Noting that it's just a comparison.

Also, quoting from the wikipedia or dictionary.com is annoying, and should be avoided. If you're at the point where you need to define a word, you're probably talking past each other.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I dunno about you guys but I could hardly understand what he was saying...
He talked really fast and the heavy British accent didn't help any.
ttf_Baron von Bone

Quote from: bickle on Feb 21, 2008, 01:40PMAlso, quoting from the wikipedia or dictionary.com is annoying, and should be avoided. If you're at the point where you need to define a word, you're probably talking past each other.
Which would be a good reason to ensure you're using the same form or definition of a given term ... no?

term (n),
1.   a word or group of words designating something, esp. in a particular field, as atom in physics, quietism in theology, adze in carpentry, or district leader in politics.
2.   any word or group of words considered as a member of a construction or utterance.
3.   the time or period through which something lasts.
4.   a period of time to which limits have been set: elected for a term of four years.
5.   one of two or more divisions of a school year, during which instruction is regularly provided.
6.   an appointed or set time or date, as for the payment of rent, interest, wages, etc.
7.   terms,
a.   conditions with regard to payment, price, charge, rates, wages, etc.: reasonable terms.
b.   conditions or stipulations limiting what is proposed to be granted or done: the terms of a treaty.
c.   footing or standing; relations: on good terms with someone.
d.   Obsolete. state, situation, or circumstances.
8.   Algebra, Arithmetic.
a.   each of the members of which an expression, a series of quantities, or the like, is composed, as one of two or more parts of an algebraic expression.
b.   a mathematical expression of the form axp, axpyq, etc., where a, p, and q are numbers and x and y are variables.
9.   Logic.
a.   the subject or predicate of a categorical proposition.
b.   the word or expression denoting the subject or predicate of a categorical proposition.
10.   Also called terminus. a figure, esp. of Terminus, in the form of a herm, used by the ancient Romans as a boundary marker; terminal figure.
11.   Law.
a.   an estate or interest in land or the like, to be enjoyed for a fixed period.
b.   the duration of an estate.
c.   each of the periods during which certain courts of law hold their sessions.
12.   completion of pregnancy; parturition.
13.   Archaic.
a.   end, conclusion, or termination.
b.   boundary or limit.
–verb (used with object)
14.   to apply a particular term or name to; name; call; designate.
—Idioms
15.   bring to terms, to force to agree to stated demands or conditions; bring into submission: After a long struggle, we brought them to terms.
16.   come to terms,
a.   to reach an agreement; make an arrangement: to come to terms with a creditor.
b.   to become resigned or accustomed: to come to terms with one's life.
17.   eat one's terms, British Informal. to study for the bar; be a law student.
18.   in terms of, with regard to; concerning: The book offers nothing in terms of a satisfactory conclusion.

Couldn't resist that one.

Byron (the skeptic)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What?!? Sarcasm and irony on MY internetz?

Cease this wittery posthaste!

ttf_WaltTrombone

A real knee-slapper...LOL
ttf_BFW

Post by ttf_BFW »

Quote from: bickle on Feb 21, 2008, 07:51PMCease this wittery posthaste!
You ought to trademark that puppy posthaste.  Prehaste, even.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: BassBone09 on Feb 21, 2008, 06:53PMI dunno about you guys but I could hardly understand what he was saying...

Image Image Image

Fast speech was one of the main things that stamped me as a 'pommy' back when I first came to Australia. Queensland was my first state and helped me slow down a little. But then I was away for over 20 years and now I have returned, I can't help noticing how 'slow' is everything about Queensland. On the other hand, definitely "Beautiful one day: Perfect the next!"

I have noticed a definite change in the style of moderating on this forum since we left that other place. It is less rigid and a better place for it. I still appreciate the occasional spark of a maverick to wake everyone up.

The only things I detest on a forum are advertising and polls and one of those I am able to block out completely.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Quote from: BassBone09 on Feb 21, 2008, 06:53PMI dunno about you guys but I could hardly understand what he was saying...

That really demonstrates the differences between NY and Texas. I didn't have any trouble understanding him. Must have been a combination of my NY upbringing, plus watching lots of Monty Python, plus working for an English company back in the 80s. (BTW, I'm typing this extra slowly, so all of our Texans can understand what I'm saying.)  Image Image Image
ttf_evan51

Post by ttf_evan51 »

QuoteAs an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a participant referring another participant to Wikipedia approaches one.
ttf_SandyMBarrows

Post by ttf_SandyMBarrows »

Quote from: evan51 on Feb 23, 2008, 04:31PM
Guess orange doesnt replicate.......

Please translate to Texan....
ttf_rlb

Post by ttf_rlb »

yeh, I AGREE. LOLZ!!11!1!
ttf_slidemansailor

Post by ttf_slidemansailor »

It's the old disappearing ink trick.  I think you are supposed to splash lemon juice on your screen to read it.

Please let me know if that works. 
ttf_SLewis

Post by ttf_SLewis »

This post was a hoot!  I could understand everything he said but the auntie's teapot joke.  But I would not like to read this at work either.  Filters and such. 
ttf_Dave Tatro

Post by ttf_Dave Tatro »

I'm not sure the teapot joke is explanable here, which may be explanation enough unto itself. Image
ttf_WaltTrombone

Just look up "curl one off" or "curl one out" in a slang dictionary. Image
ttf_Piano man

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: play_louder on Feb 21, 2008, 03:02AMLOL I agree

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Hmmm. That's odd, PL. Why isn't your comment large, green and moving?)

(Ah. Fixed it!)

Up to 1511! good work!
ttf_BariTrom

Post by ttf_BariTrom »

OMG I love the British ascent Image  Image
ttf_Baron von Bone

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Feb 28, 2008, 06:46AMJust look up "curl one off" or "curl one out" in a slang dictionary. Image Sounds like "pinch one off" or "squeeze one out" to me.

Eh?

Byron
ttf_Dave Tatro

Post by ttf_Dave Tatro »

Quote from: BariTrom on Apr 14, 2008, 09:49PMOMG I love the British ascent Image  Image

What a coincidence- I'm also a fan of English ballooning!
ttf_slidemansailor

Post by ttf_slidemansailor »

Quote from: Dave Tatro on Apr 16, 2008, 11:43AMWhat a coincidence- I'm also a fan of English ballooning!

BariTrom's spellings are too easy. Find something more challenging to challenge. It is easy enough to know what someone who used to have the tagline "worst speller" meant... but dang it is fun to make pun of that stuff.
ttf_Dave Tatro

Post by ttf_Dave Tatro »

Quote from: slidemansailor on Apr 16, 2008, 07:26PMBariTrom's spellings are too easy. Find something more challenging to challenge. It is easy enough to know what someone who used to have the tagline "worst speller" meant... but dang it is fun to make pun of that stuff.

Well, Brian and Dennis grab most of the more erudite pun opportunities, leaving just the soft pitches for less accomplished punsters like myself. Image
ttf_BariTrom

Post by ttf_BariTrom »

Quote from: slidemansailor on Apr 16, 2008, 07:26PMused to have the tagline "worst speller" meant
Still do Image
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

uR 4ll teh n00blurz.

LOlllolloollololol!!!!!!1!!1!!!!!!one!!!1!!1!!eleven!!1!!!!!

Good video, though.
ttf_BBNate

Post by ttf_BBNate »

I haven't been on i a long time,so I went to the chat room and saw this. RedHotMama, I can't tell you how funny that was,oh and remeber the lang.teenagers use,well i'm on an airsoft forum and their started to ban "text" language.(ex:pwnd. i own u.etc...etc)
ttf_BBNate

Post by ttf_BBNate »

oh,am i typing to fast for you Texans? or  should  i   type   like   this?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Feb 20, 2008, 02:35PMI like this.
http://www.videojug.com/film/player?id=69ab804d-9b3c-714c-30d7-ff0008ca4067

AMAZING! It reminds me of the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy episodes, ha!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's something about posting first:  Be warned it might have a bit of profanity,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MardGP3vN6U&feature=channel

ttf_xnavymusician

Post by ttf_xnavymusician »

It is no wonder you are the moderator of chit/chat
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

(I'm not sure if that is a positive or negative comment!)
ttf_demeyj

Post by ttf_demeyj »

Highly amusing!
It reminds me of some old DOS games like Hugo 2: Who Done It
http://www.classic-pc-games.com/pc/adventure/hugo_2:_who_done_it.html

ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

TOP TEN WAY TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY ON THE TROMBONE FORUM

1. Use lots and lots of netspeak, like OMG, LOL, ZOMG! and ROTFLMAO. Everyone finds this so funny and cute! It’s a sure way to make lots and lots of friends (IMO).

2. never ever use punctuation it just slows down the pace of your post and makes everything so much easier to read and you can get your point across faster and it makes it seem like you have so many ideas you cant get them out fast enough

3. If you start to lose an argument on logical grounds, you can always get back in the game by calling the other guy a liberal.

4. Pass yourself off as an “expert” on whatever the topic is. We all really, really respect the many degrees and vast educational experience of anonymous posters, so bring that up often.

5. Whenever possible, your posts should include references to smoking, abortion, atheism or gun control. These topics are “Forum Gold”!

6. Make personal attacks a part of your daily goals. It’s the best way to ensure a quick response to your posts. Always question the other guy's politics, religion, morals and/or sexual orientation. References to the horse he rode in on are good as well.

7. When you run out of ideas to support your position, just mention Nazis or Hitler. Better still, put these references in your signature or banner. More is better!

8. People love long, looong, loooonng posts. The longer the better. If you can’t say it in three or four sentences it’s probably not worth saying. Better yet, copy and paste long posts from other websites (but never, ever give credit to the original author. This makes you seem wishy-washy). Also, be sure to keep really long posts all in one block without any paragraph breaks. For added emphasis, write everything IN ALL CAPS or bold face or italics. IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE FORM OF WRITING YOUR POST!!! OMG!!!

9. speling and gramer is optianal also

10. Jack up your post count by replying with such pearls of wisdom as “I agree” or “+1”. It’s a well-known fact that post count is directly related to penis size. If you’re a woman, it’s directly related to…penis size. I dunno, YOU figure it out.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Woolworth on Mar 27, 2009, 11:35AMTOP TEN WAY TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY ON THE TROMBONE FORUM

1. Use lots and lots of netspeak, like OMG, LOL, ZOMG! and ROTFLMAO. Everyone finds this so funny and cute! It’s a sure way to make lots and lots of friends (IMO).

2. never ever use punctuation it just slows down the pace of your post and makes everything so much easier to read and you can get your point across faster and it makes it seem like you have so many ideas you cant get them out fast enough

3. If you start to lose an argument on logical grounds, you can always get back in the game by calling the other guy a liberal.

4. Pass yourself off as an “expert” on whatever the topic is. We all really, really respect the many degrees and vast educational experience of anonymous posters, so bring that up often.

5. Whenever possible, your posts should include references to smoking, abortion, atheism or gun control. These topics are “Forum Gold”!

6. Make personal attacks a part of your daily goals. It’s the best way to ensure a quick response to your posts. Always question the other guy's politics, religion, morals and/or sexual orientation. References to the horse he rode in on are good as well.

7. When you run out of ideas to support your position, just mention Nazis or Hitler. Better still, put these references in your signature or banner. More is better!

8. People love long, looong, loooonng posts. The longer the better. If you can’t say it in three or four sentences it’s probably not worth saying. Better yet, copy and paste long posts from other websites (but never, ever give credit to the original author. This makes you seem wishy-washy). Also, be sure to keep really long posts all in one block without any paragraph breaks. For added emphasis, write everything IN ALL CAPS or bold face or italics. IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE FORM OF WRITING YOUR POST!!! OMG!!!

9. speling and gramer is optianal also

10. Jack up your post count by replying with such pearls of wisdom as “I agree” or “+1”. It’s a well-known fact that post count is directly related to penis size. If you’re a woman, it’s directly related to…penis size. I dunno, YOU figure it out.

ZOMFG +1.

Man, I'm gettin' it already. Great post, RHM. Love a bit of British humour. Take me back to my Fawlty Towers days Image
ttf_SilverSonic

Post by ttf_SilverSonic »

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

hilarious - especially the one before assburgers Image
ttf_Baron von Bone

I'm curious how this post (from another forum) is perceived by different people who operate from different perspectives, how they would react if they were MichaelSeth8:

Quote from: SkepticX" date="1264278424Quote from: michaelseth8" date="1264231160I don't like to be nitpicky, but I don't see funeralization as a useless tradition.  In fact, I think it is a very important service that I provide for those who have lost someone close to them.  Yes, I am a Funeral Director and Embalmer (and cremator), and I take exception to that claim.  But I don't take it personally.

I can say that I LOVE the fact that we are moving away - or so it seems - from more religious-type ceremonies all the time.  Those are the funerals I enjoy working more than the religious.
What's your take on the state of your industry and the impression that, by and large, funeral homes are a racket that preys on the deepest, most difficult loss people suffer?
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I would give that person my contact information and inform them, yes there are unscrupulous funerary service providers out there.  Now you know.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

there are unscrupulous _______________________________

[fill in blank with any type of business/profession you want] but not all of us are.

I used to tell folks, not all attorneys are or act like SOBs (or the female equivalent) and attorneys should not be or act like an SOB all the time, but when it was appropriate, I could be or act like one mean SOB.

"you betcha"  Image Image
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

Bump.
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I still love that video. Image

As relevant now as it was then - if not more so.... Image
ttf_RedHotMama