Horn stand when you go home

whitbey

Horn stand when you go home

Post by whitbey »

When I go home I unpack my horns and put them on my stand. This stand is attached to the floor so the horns cannot be slid up against each other. Each horn has a wood pole/dowel set in a 2 x 6. A rubber tip is on the top and a plunger with the center drilled out is part way down to rest the bell. A blue table cloth dresses it up a little.
There is two 2x6's at right angles that I can hang a slide on safely.

When I go to play I pick a horn or two, then pick a case. I have enough cases for all the horns but tend to use one most of the time. I have a square zip bag from a gig bag that has my lube and whatnot that can be thrown into what ever case of bag I take.

Curious if others keep there horns out or in the case at home.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1izx ... nI5X0ROczA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1izx ... 0loMVRWNm8
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Schlitz

Re: Horn stand when you go home

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

Yep, I love having my horns just an arm’s reach away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

What's the screw-bell? Thein? I see a krantz.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

Neo Bri wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am What's the screw-bell? Thein? I see a krantz.
They’re both screw bells and both Shires. The German bell was made in Germany for Shires as sort of an experiment, not sure how many were produced. It wasn’t a screw bell to begin with, I had Shires convert it just recently. The added mass works well on it as it was a bit light before.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Neat. Never seen that before.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yes, I typically have several horns out on stands. Usually my 79h, 48h, and bass. If I'm playing my 88h on gigs or rehearsals, it's probably in the case. Sometimes I've got to take my bass and a tenor to a rehearsal, so those are in my double case. The tuba stands propped up in the corner on one of those shipping cones, because I'm not playing it out anywhere yet.

My upstairs is pretty much my office and studio and quartet rehearsal space. My dog isn't big enough to knock anything down, and my wife is pretty careful. That's why I get away with leaving things out.

I've bought several different types of stands because I use them so much, just to see which is best. I like the Aida for traveling with a tenor. the K&M with round legs is my favorite for bass and all around (I don't like the heavy duty one with plate steel legs because its so heavy and the corners of the legs are so sharp). The lightest I have is some no-name with russian-doll fold-down capabilities - fits in the bell. Really only sturdy enough for a small 500 bore. The worst I have is one of those On Stage which I dislike because of the silly bell cup springs and the flimsy tightening nut gets stuck. I have a couple old Hamiltons, which are awful to tear down - make noise and pinch your fingers. I also have a Hercules slide brace stand that I usually put my 88h on because the bell is thin and has been damaged on a regular bell stand before.

In the image from left to right are Hercules grip stand, Hercules in-bell stand, K&M, old Hamilton, no-name extremely light collapsible in-bell, and a very old stand.

Last edited by hyperbolica on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Suggestion for trombone stands -
Don't use a tube sock or an old towel - buy a purpose-built Hamilton "Bone Sock":

http://usa.hamiltonstands.com/products_ ... spx?id=140

https://smile.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bone- ... +Bone+Sock

These absorbent microfiber socks are less than $4 each, fit over the stand's bell rest, and work on all my trombone stands (Hamilton, On-Stage, K&M) to cushion the bell and keep it clean and dry.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:39 pm Suggestion for trombone stands -
Don't use a tube sock or an old towel - buy a purpose-built Hamilton "Bone Sock": ...
These absorbent microfiber socks are less than $4 each, fit over the stand's bell rest, and work on all my trombone stands (Hamilton, On-Stage, K&M) to cushion the bell and keep it clean and dry.
Interesting you should mention this. I bought about a dozen 'Bone Socks' over Christmas and gave them to all of my friends' trombones. Not for the friend - mind you - it's a present for their trombone. Works better than dirty socks and look better, too. Buy your trombone a present! ;)
boomski

Post by boomski »

I leave both of my horns out on stands (with bone socks!) most of the time. Only exception is if I have a gig and won't have time to practice. I also leave them in the basement, so there's a low chance of any damage happening there.
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I only have one stand (K&M) so it's used at home and at concerts/rehearsals. I do use a sock but one of my old ones not a bone sock as I've not found them for sale over here yet.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
tctb

Post by tctb »

I use a microfibre cloth on my stand . It's cheap to buy and has many other uses, plus it is easy to wash .
Last edited by tctb on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

For home, the most stable (widest contact base) and heaviest makes a lot of sense. But when I go on a gig I strongly prefer my Aria. So light, small, and awesome.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

I usually keep my horns on hercules like this except my concert horn and I usually put it in the case because I dont like the Idea of something constantly being pushed in the bell and I dont trust my crudy in bell stand.
14099621_241695649560007_672228043_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
btone

Post by btone »

I play tenor and bass and usually leave a couple horns out at any given time on stands. I prefer the heavy-duty K&M stands, especially with the heavier instruments, because they are difficult to tip over. I learned a lesson about 20 years ago when when I saw my 42B on a Hamilton stand tip over when student lightly brushed against it. I couldn't fault the student because he barely touched it . Admittedly part of the fault lay in the fact that the weight of the instrument was not positioned directly above one of the legs. I also usually leave the slide unlocked so it can rest on the floor to take a little weight off the bell section.

Return to “Accessories”