Big Band Trombone Section Features

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What are some of the most known trombone section features in big band to date? What are some difficult and challenging ones to have fun with? Are they available online? If not, would you happen to know where to get it?

The reason I'm asking is because my trombone repertoire class likes to integrate both orchestral and jazz playing over the semester and I'd like to see what other trombone section features we may be looking over. That being said, I'd also like to bring one of these charts into big band, so that the trombones can have some fun as well!  Image

Best Regards,

Jason
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Beautiful ballad arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" by Dee Barton for the Kenton band. Not flashy but pure music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vTagBRt7hg

Cheers

Stewbones

PS Do NOT take it too fast, it will destroy it!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We do an arrangement of "How High the Moon" that features the trombone section.  1st, 2nd, and 3rd have improvised solos 16, 16, and 12 bars respectively).
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 10, 2017, 07:22PMWe do an arrangement of "How High the Moon" that features the trombone section.  1st, 2nd, and 3rd have improvised solos 16, 16, and 12 bars respectively).

Pretty sure you're describing the Dave Wolpe arrangement.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_johnstad

Post by ttf_johnstad »

ttf_jasonlvazquez

Post by ttf_jasonlvazquez »

(I made this post on a different board, but posting it here may also be of more help to me.)

What are some of the most known trombone section features in big band to date? What are some difficult and challenging ones to have fun with? Are they available online? If not, would you happen to know where to get it?

The reason I'm asking is because my trombone repertoire class likes to integrate both orchestral and jazz playing over the semester and I'd like to see what other trombone section features we may be looking over. That being said, I'd also like to bring one of these charts into big band, so that the trombones can have some fun as well!  Image

Best Regards,

Jason
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Here are some titles of section features.  I can get arrangers too if interested - this is just a directory listing:

A Little Minor Booze
BoneVoyageComplete
Bye Bye Blues
Granada Smoothie
Hop, Skip & A Jump - Brown
lament
NightAndDay
Perdido Trombone
Sackbut City
Secret Love
sentimental2
TimeAfterTime

Sackbut City is very difficult.
ttf_KingMan

Post by ttf_KingMan »

From the Kenton library:
Darn That Dream
But Beautiful
How Do I Look In Blue
My One And Only Love
Here's That Rainy Day
I've Never Been In Love Before
I'm Glad There Is You
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Trombone versions of:

Four Brothers
Four Others

Note that there are many arrangements of a lot of the tunes mentioned, so you must find the correct one that is the bone feature. I've played the bone version of But Beautiful, but I personally have also played and prefer the Maynard Ferguson arrangement of this song, particularly the bass bone lick at the beginning.

We are also rehearsing A Little Minor Booze, and there are 16 bars repeated for the bones at the beginning. After that, there is not much there that's special.
ttf_ENelson

Post by ttf_ENelson »

Thad Jones "Tip Toe"
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Two more from the Kenton library:

"Interlude", which is only the five trombones and rhythm. Stunningly beautiful.
"Concerto to End All Concertos", while not entirely a trombone feature, has a beautiful a capella trombone chorale in the middle.

David Baker's "Terrible T" has a lengthy trombone soli in a slow swing in 4 that happens over a fast swing in 3 in the rhythm section. It's pretty wild. (It's a transcription of one of his solos.)
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I've always liked Dee Barton's version of Here's That Rainy Day.  Trombone section is featured at the start and at the end.  You need a tight trombone section to play it.  Not extremely difficult, but the harmonies are tight in all sections.  No idea of it's availability.

https://www.youtube.com/v/fYljF7kcPDA

Not a particularly great recording of it.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Oct 10, 2017, 01:59PMBeautiful ballad arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" by Dee Barton for the Kenton band. Not flashy but pure music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vTagBRt7hg

Cheers

Stewbones

PS Do NOT take it too fast, it will destroy it!
DO I hear a tuba in this one?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I hadn't noticed this was posted elsewhere in the forum.  Perhaps the two threads can be joined?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: jasonlvazquez on Oct 11, 2017, 12:11AM(I made this post on a different board, but posting it here may also be of more help to me.)

Best Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum!  Image

I went ahead and merged the topics. We try to only talk about one thing at a time for the sake of organization.  You might find it useful to either follow this thread or to use the buttons at the top ("show recent unread posts").  That way, you'll get updated if someone responds.  That's how most of us utilize. I very rarely pay attention to which subject something is posted in unless its subject is pretty far off from the location chosen. E.g. a question about mouthpiece in the technology section.
ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

I've heard arrangements of "Rambo" (Count Basie) that feature trombone prominently. Don't know where you'd obtain them.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I just played a different Bone Voyage today, arranged by Jay Hill. There are a few recordings on youtube of the Niehaus title, but I didn't have any luck finding a recording of this one. I'll try to put page 1 of the bass bone 5 here. It is good fun.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155075847385784&set=gm.1462948057086083&type=3&theater&ifg=1

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Our band used to play a chart called Bear Bones that was pretty fun.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There's also something called "Two Bone Barbecue" which is a duet for 1st and 2nd trombone based on "Struttin' with some Barbecue".
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

Four(in three)-Mike Crotty
Bones For Basie-Alan Hare
Sunny Side of the Street-John Clayton
Bag 'A Bones - Neal Hefti
IGSOY-Dave Wolpe
It's Alright With Me - Kenichi Tsunoda
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: jakeway1 on Oct 11, 2017, 01:50PMIt's Alright With Me - Kenichi Tsunoda

+1 - I have played this.
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Driving Park on Yesterday at 07:39 PMForgot an obvious one from the Basie library.

In our library that tune is "Blues in Hoss' Flat" instead of "Blues in Frankie's Flat".
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

I love this version of "I'm getting sentimental over you" for 4 trombones and rhythm section featuring Tommy Dorsey.  If anyone out there can transcribe it (unfortunately, I don't have that skill), I'd love to have a copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ypMs4DVIsc
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Not exactly a full feature..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8X0wXZOhY
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: ENelson on Oct 11, 2017, 06:17AMThad Jones "Tip Toe"

That one is a real challange. Most challanging stuff I have ever played as a whole section in unison. That one should be on your repertoire list Image

/Tom
ttf_bigbandaxes

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

"Song of the Volga Boatman"! Glenn Miller. Check it out on youtube. A lot of different bands doing it. Miller was first.

It starts out as a unison trombone soli and becomes a round with the trumpet section! Fun to play.

When I was in the Kent State Lab Band back in the dark ages we won an honorable mention at the Elmurst Festival with it!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Boatmen was written to use the talents of Ernie Caceres, who was a whiz on baritone and  alto.  In fact, he had to play bari, alto, and clarinet.  Not a lot of baritone sax players want to haul that much gear.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Kenton`s version of "My Funny Valentine" and Dave Wolpe`s arr of "Getting Sentimental over you"
ttf_Peter Ellefson

Post by ttf_Peter Ellefson »

Decades ago, I always enjoyed playing Bob Curnow's "Writer's Cramp."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvN61kcF1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8z9N3VnbQA

PE
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Check out the soli on 'March of the Tadpoles' ~ Toshiko Akiyoshi ...based on changes from 'All The Things You Are'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UjJDcE4DQ
ttf_MrHCinDE

Post by ttf_MrHCinDE »

I always liked "Teddy The Toad" as a section feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxaKL03EDgs

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Not strictly big band, but a concert band trombone feature that deserves to be played more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riG1xrXZiu4

ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

Tom Kubis has written a bunch of these.  Check his website.
ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

Tom Kubis has written a bunch of these.  Check his website.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”