Advice on jazz horn

bonemama

Advice on jazz horn

Post by bonemama »

My son just graduated high school and will be starting college as a music major. His college is fully funded by academic and music scholarships. He has his symphonic horn, but in the last year has really begun to shine in jazz. I want to give him a good jazz horn for graduation. I'm a musician, but my degrees were in voice, so I'm in a whole new world with all the intricacies of models alone - not to mention mouthpieces!

I'm now disabled, so if I'm going to buy something I want to know I'm getting the most I can for my money. Right now I'm looking at Bach 16, King 2B and 3B, and Conn 6H. I'd appreciate comments about what would be the most versatile purchase while still producing a standout jazz sound.
bonemama

Advice - non-trombonist purchasing for son

Post by bonemama »

I'm a vocalist mom looking surprise my son (about to enter college as a music major) with a jazz trombone. We live in the middle of nowhere, and I will be purchasing online. I'm communicating with his professor and he's given me some good direction, but I don't want to pester him to death with every tiny detail.

What I'd really like is a list of the details I should look for/ask questions about when seriously considering a purchase. For example, when I was in love with a very pretty horn from the 1920s, he warned me to "be sure the instrument plays up to contemporary pitch levels." He's also mentioned "inner slide stocking wear" a couple of times. Most posts have a number of pictures, and I know the condition of the slides are pivotal, but what are questions an actual trombone player would know to ask that I'm completely unaware of? (As in "what are inner slide stockings and how do I know if they are in good condition? Is there a picture for that?" - lol!)

If you had a punch list for evaluating an instrument you couldn't see, touch, or play, what would be on it?
Nolankberk

Re: Advice on jazz horn

Post by Nolankberk »

3b definitely fits most versatile, but there are many players who can do anything on any horn. but a 3b can work in chamber, jazz combo, big band section, big band lead, soloist, etc.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What is his symphonic horn?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If he's studying music as a trombonist, your son is probably the one to ask what jazz horn to get him. Spoils the surprise, sure, but ...

I'm imagining myself in a situation where my folks gift me a brand new Bach 16, and I'm seeing myself struggling to pretend to love it for their sake. Not necessarily digging on the 16, but everyone is different.
Briande

Post by Briande »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:30 pm If he's studying music as a trombonist, your son is probably the one to ask what jazz horn to get him. Spoils the surprise, sure, but ...

I'm imagining myself in a situation where my folks gift me a brand new Bach 16, and I'm seeing myself struggling to pretend to love it for their sake. Not necessarily digging on the 16, but everyone is different.
Maybe instead surprise him with a trip to a good music store to test out some horns and find one he likes.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H. Conn 10H.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I suggest asking his private teacher and/or his high school band director. If they don't know, maybe they can direct you to somebody who can. Love your "About me" in your profile, BTW!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Someone who has been playing only a large bore horn has absolutely no perspective on their perfect" small bore.

Get something that's a reasonable choice, and then in a couple of years he'll be in a better place to choose his own. That's what I did - got a Yamaha student model and ended up winning a major audition on it. Right now the YSL 200AD is a really good horn, but a King 3B is a classic and always a good bet that will hold its value.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I always tell my students: jazz is a style not a horn. It is easier for almost everyone to play on a smaller horn once they get serious and have found their sound. Until then, a student horn is great. I played a run of Chicago on a BAD pro jazz tenor… the pulled out my trusty King 606 and it was immediately better. So a $150 student horn beat a $3000 pro jazz horn for me.

Return to “Instruments”