NHD: Shires Tenor

muschem

NHD: Shires Tenor

Post by muschem »

My new tenor from Shires arrived, and they did a fantastic job with it!

Specs:
1SS8 Bell - 1 taper, sterling silver, 8" flare
Tru-bore valve
47NLW slide (25NLW also in the works)

Alexis was a pleasure to work with, answering all of my many questions and taking every change in stride. Shown here next to the sterling bass I recently acquired from Brass Ark (thanks, slipmo!):
NHD1.jpg
NHD2.jpg
NHD3.JPG
NHD4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
bitbckt

Re: NHD: Shires Tenor

Post by bitbckt »

Cool trombone hangers/stands, too! Very classy all around.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

Those are beautiful.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Beautiful horns!! Congrats!

I had my eyes on that Shires bass when it arrived in Brass Ark's rooster, but as I already have my Conn 62, I decided not to invest in a second bass but saving my money for a new large bore instead.

It's good to see where that horn ended up, and that it got a loving home, and those two together is a really nice stable!

Play long and prosper.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Very nice! They look great! How are you finding the trubores? Have you played them vs the other valve options from Shires?
muschem

Post by muschem »

Rusty wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:55 am Very nice! They look great! How are you finding the trubores? Have you played them vs the other valve options from Shires?
I really like the Tru-bore valves - especially on tenor (still forming an opinion on bass). Of the other valve options from Shires, I've played their axial and dual bore, and both of those are good as well, in different ways. The axial is, well, an axial - love them or hate them, I don't have much to add to the discourse that hasn't already been said. The dual bore valve was a pleasant surprise - very focused without feeling stuffy. But for me, the Tru-bore strikes the right balance of ergonomics (axials sometimes dig into my neck, and some have linkage arms that actually hit my neck when activated), response (open and transparent), sound (broader than a traditional rotor, but not so much as an axial), and maintenance.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Congratulations, you have quite the arsenal there! Beautiful horns.

I had Trubores for a while, and the sound became particularly bright for me as my playing changed over the years. I liked the response and they made the horn very easy to play, however. I liked mine better on the bass than the tenor. The main reason why I moved to another valve section, axials, on the bass is because my Trubores were dependent and I wanted to go back to an independent system, and on that particular trip to Shires I liked the axials best. The thing that I miss most about the Trubores is the extremely short throw. That was really cool, and they were easy to maintain.
flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

I love the brushed sterling look! I'm a sucker for a sterling bell, and if I go down the Shires path, one of those will somehow enter my home. I think you have given me a new woodworking project with those horn hooks!
muschem

Post by muschem »

flyingcow wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:16 am I love the brushed sterling look! I'm a sucker for a sterling bell, and if I go down the Shires path, one of those will somehow enter my home. I think you have given me a new woodworking project with those horn hooks!
Thanks! There are a few more pictures and a materials list for those wall hangers in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=173703#p173703
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone

Return to “Instruments”