Edwards tenon assembly

brassmedic

Edwards tenon assembly

Post by brassmedic »

I have an Edwards VDB bass trombone slide here that had a fall and the tenon broke off of the slide. Obviously it will need a new lower inner tube, but as for the tenon, is that a separate piece, or is it part of the slide socket/ brace socket part that broke off? I'm thinking it's a seperate piece because it's such a clean break. If so, I can just re-use the part, right?

Second question: Can I order a new slide tube for the Getzen 1062FD? Is it the same part? Or would I need to get the part through Edwards? It is dual bore.

TIA.
20240503_143310.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Burgerbob

Re: Edwards tenon assembly

Post by Burgerbob »

Those are a separate part, they break relatively easily since it's just the slide tube keeping it all together. You'll have to remove the broken tube from the tenon piece but it should be resuable.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:15 pm Those are a separate part, they break relatively easily since it's just the slide tube keeping it all together. You'll have to remove the broken tube from the tenon piece but it should be resuable.
Thanks. Now if anyone knows for sure if Getzen tubes are the same as Edwards I would appreciate it.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

brassmedic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:15 pm Those are a separate part, they break relatively easily since it's just the slide tube keeping it all together. You'll have to remove the broken tube from the tenon piece but it should be resuable.
Thanks. Now if anyone knows for sure if Getzen tubes are the same as Edwards I would appreciate it.
The tenon length is shorter on the Getzen as it has the Conn style receiver instead of the Bach style like the edwards. But the diameters and such are all the same. Would they even trim that to length on a replacement part?

Cheers,
Andy
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

elmsandr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:59 pm
brassmedic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm
The tenon length is shorter on the Getzen as it has the Conn style receiver instead of the Bach style like the edwards. But the diameters and such are all the same. Would they even trim that to length on a replacement part?

Cheers,
Andy
Thanks. Good question. I would think not. And even if it is trimmed, worst case scenario is the tube wouldn't fit all the way up to the end of the tenon, which isn't a huge deal. I think I'll just take a chance on the Getzen tube from Allied.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hey Brad,

I think I did an inner slide replacement just like this on a Edwards dual-bore bass several years ago. The outer diameter of the stockings and the “non stocking “ inner slide areas are the same on the Edwards and Getzen horns. The tenon is its own part and not manufactured as part of the slide socket with brace. It would be frugal to pull that inner slide piece out and use the existing tenon.

Here are the things that come to my memory:

*Those darn inner slides for the Getzen/Edwards horns can be brittle and can snap or bend/crinkle rather easily. Be very careful if you must straighten the tube, especially if the stockings are not parallel with the rest of the slide tube (I see that often with the Getzen/Edwards parts).

*I can’t honestly remember if the Getzen tube is shorter than the Edwards tube. You can look up the length description in the Allied catalog. I don’t find that Allied’s measurements are always correct, but they do seem to be more accurate for the Getzen parts because they are made on location. If the Getzen inner slide is too short, you could create a short shim for the inside of the end of the tenon from the old inner slide tube. I would recommend that because the metal on the ends of those tapered tenons can get rather thin……more so on the Getzen models (Conn -style) than the Edwards models (Bach-style).
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:58 am Hey Brad,

I think I did an inner slide replacement just like this on a Edwards dual-bore bass several years ago. The outer diameter of the stockings and the “non stocking “ inner slide areas are the same on the Edwards and Getzen horns. The tenon is its own part and not manufactured as part of the slide socket with brace. It would be frugal to pull that inner slide piece out and use the existing tenon.

Here are the things that come to my memory:

*Those darn inner slides for the Getzen/Edwards horns can be brittle and can snap or bend/crinkle rather easily. Be very careful if you must straighten the tube, especially if the stockings are not parallel with the rest of the slide tube (I see that often with the Getzen/Edwards parts).

*I can’t honestly remember if the Getzen tube is shorter than the Edwards tube. You can look up the length description in the Allied catalog. I don’t find that Allied’s measurements are always correct, but they do seem to be more accurate for the Getzen parts because they are made on location. If the Getzen inner slide is too short, you could create a short shim for the inside of the end of the tenon from the old inner slide tube. I would recommend that because the metal on the ends of those tapered tenons can get rather thin……more so on the Getzen models (Conn -style) than the Edwards models (Bach-style).
Thanks. Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the warning - yes those tubes are very easy to snap.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Hey Brad, once you get the correct tube, I would suggest machining a collar to reinforce that part!
I do that for every Getzen bass slide that I repair.
Turn down the thicker end of the taper to match the cross-brace.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Bonearzt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:15 pm Hey Brad, once you get the correct tube, I would suggest machining a collar to reinforce that part!
OK
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Bonearzt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:15 pm Hey Brad, once you get the correct tube, I would suggest machining a collar to reinforce that part!
That's a great idea! That area of the Getzen slides is definitely too delicate to handle the weight of the bell section.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”