Small bore lead trombone mouthpiece suggestions?

RanchCrouton

Small bore lead trombone mouthpiece suggestions?

Post by RanchCrouton »

I’ve been playing second trombone in my high school jazz band but recently got put on first for a song that’s a little out of my range.
I’ve resorted to playing on my 12C again to make it more manageable but I’m not able to get notes like high C and C# out with consistency.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If wondering the song, it’s Channel 1 Suite as from the Buddy Rich Big Band
Thank you!
Kingfan

Re: Small bore lead trombone mouthpiece suggestions?

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome to the group! What mouthpiece were you using prior to the 12C? What horn are you playing? Both those bits of info could help narrow things down. I suggest a Skype session with Doug Elliott, a member of this chat forum. He can evaluate you and make very good suggestions on technique and mouthpieces. http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

A shallower mouthpiece can help bring out the higher overtones in the sound for an easier, brighter upper register that projects well, but if the rim is too small in diameter for your face it can actually hamper high and low range, as well as volume. Depending on what you played before the 12c and your horn, something in the 7c to 11c range would be worth a shot. Deeper and more open mouthpieces like a Bach 6.5 AL make a nice full sound but are often more work to play strenuous lead with a bright, projecting sound.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

To the OP ^^^
The Bach 12C is pretty small for your Getzen 725.
You might want to try a mouthpiece with a slightly larger rim and bore, but smaller than your 6.5AL
Schilke 47, or King M21 would be good candidates.
Used examples of those are for sale in the "Classified" section of this forum.
RanchCrouton

Post by RanchCrouton »

Thank you all for your suggestions! I’m playing in a Getzen 725 right now.
I’ve found that my 12C fits my mouth much better than the 6 1/2 AL. I definitely get winded much faster on the larger mouthpiece.
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

You asked a specific question and got specific answers which are vague but correct. Trouble is you can't just go out and buy a mouthpiece which will suddenly give you a C sharp. Mouthpieces are somewhat unique to the individual. That is why there are at least a zillion mouthpieces for sale.
I looked a little deeper into this.
Not familiar with the tune but I found the score on-line. Looks like this has the 1st Trumpet going to F sharp four spaces above the staff. 1st Trombone doubles 2nd Trumpet going to a C sharp (D sharp for the trumpet). I don't know about your HS band but I would be very much surprised if you have trumpets that can manage these notes. I listened to a few YT videos and did not hear any screeching trumpets. Seems like other bands are not playing these notes.
Rather than changing mouthpieces to try and suddenly play a C sharp, I would talk to your director about re-arranging this one section to suit your band's abilities. The chords appear to be triads so the parts actually overlap with an octave or two separation.
Don't ruin your embouchure trying to perform notes you are not ready for. Keep playing and you will get there!
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

RanchCrouton wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 am I’m not able to get notes like high C and C# out with consistency.
A different mouthpiece really won't make that much of a difference to basic range unless you make a pretty extreme change. But - spending the time to find the right mouthpiece for you can make a difference in a general combination of effects that can make playing generally easier. That "right mouthpiece" will be different for everyone. The mouthpiece is pretty much the most personal piece of equipment on the trombone.

And:

You know the usual: practice, practice, practice, and practice smarter.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Mouthpieces”