New York

Spin your yarns here.
harrisonreed

Re: New York

Post by harrisonreed »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am
harrisonreed wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:27 pm Have you been on tour with a band or large ensemble before?
Yep. And I’m one of those guys that didn’t hit on anyone else, and if anyone else hit on me, I ignored it. But that’s me. My operating system is a little different.
Right, not talking about that -- that's how it is for most people on tour. Most people act relatively tame. That isn't unique.

I'm talking about how chatty people get on tour.

But to your point, there is simply no way for any of us to really know what happened or what people actually knew. I'd be surprised if the rumors weren't making the rounds, and I'll leave my point at that.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I've been on tour a LOT (though back in the stone age), and there are no secrets on the road.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

One a tour bus, someone in the back seat can fart, and by the time it wafts to the front everyone knows what the perpetrator had for lunch.

The adage "What happens on the road STAYS on the road" is a myth.
Last edited by officermayo on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 amSide note: It’s deplorable how humanity has, throughout history, accepted the reprehensible and criminal behavior of some people because they’re artists, or politicians, or teachers, or leaders.
It's not that they're artists, or politicians, or teachers, or leaders (or athletes, for that matter). It's that they are perceived as being exceptionally talented - the very best of the very best. Rather than settle for someone infinitesimally less talented, institutions will not only tolerate abhorrent behavior, but will actively seek to cover it up.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

In a similar vein, did anybody else see the news on Demondrae Thurmon yesterday?
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

See the story of Claire Pollack and Demondrae Thurman.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Another awful, awful story (and once again just the tip of the iceberg).

The two stories intersected again as Joe Alessi commented "Don't understand how ANYONE would violate the sacred bond between student and teacher" and Claire Pollock called him out on his responsibility, given his unique position of power in the brass world, to kill that culture and create change with action rather than words, instead of continuing to collaborate with known abusers. Claire Pollock is a fearless badass.

I'm curious to know where Alessi's "sacred bond" was when he let his own student get denied tenure as his associate merely for supporting a colleague victim of sexual assault. And I guess, given how he publicly endorsed him as late as last summer, that the "sacred bond" between him and his former student Massimo La Rosa trumped the same "sacred bond" between La Rosa and the students he assaulted or attempted to assault?
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

King2bPlus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm See the story of Claire Pollack and Demondrae Thurman.
This hurts. I’ve known Demondrae for years… until the last 48hours or so I was looking forward to seeing my friend in a couple of days now. He is obviously no longer welcome in the venue, but it now raises the question for me…. Was any of this happening while I was around? I did not see it, but to point out the obvious, I am not a young woman. Her descriptions of his charisma and fun in public match what I would see, but that next step into the private location was never shown to me… but I’m not the target, am I?

Truly painful to think this could be happening AND be done by somebody I would have thought was out there trying to make the world better. I hope he gets everything he deserves and more for this breach.

Really at a loss here, but I hope in my circles at least we have a much more open and raw conversation about how this happens and how it can be prevented.
Andy
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

LeTromboniste wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 am Another awful, awful story (and once again just the tip of the iceberg).

The two stories intersected again as Joe Alessi commented "Don't understand how ANYONE would violate the sacred bond between student and teacher" and Claire Pollock called him out on his responsibility, given his unique position of power in the brass world, to kill that culture and create change with action rather than words, instead of continuing to collaborate with known abusers. Claire Pollock is a fearless badass.

I'm curious to know where Alessi's "sacred bond" was when he let his own student get denied tenure as his associate merely for supporting a colleague victim of sexual assault. And I guess, given how he publicly endorsed him as late as last summer, that the "sacred bond" between him and his former student Massimo La Rosa trumped the same "sacred bond" between La Rosa and the students he assaulted or attempted to assault?
This is disappointing…. https://www.facebook.com/share/p/iFUzA74epHgb4cdy/?

Return to “Tangents”