Marcus Bonna Jazz - King 3B?

HBack

Marcus Bonna Jazz - King 3B?

Post by HBack »

I am wondering if anyone here has a Marcus Bonna Jazz case and has used it with a King 3B. How is the fit?

Thanks in advance!
Matt K
Verified

Re: Marcus Bonna Jazz - King 3B?

Post by Matt K »

I just picked up a baby bonna case for my… essentially a King 607F. It’s only been one day but so far I love it. I owned a MB case a long time ago but there were some deficiencies in the design… new cases seem to address all the issues I used to have. New cases can be manipulated to fit any horn like a glove and are amazingly compact.

I was originally thinking of getting one of the baby screw bell cases, but honestly, the size difference is so negligible (though admittedly I don’t fly with my trombone) that I realized it just wasn’t worth it for me. With your horn not having an f attachment, you can even do a baby jazz bona which is slightly more compact than the one I picked up.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

HBack

Post by HBack »

ithinknot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:57 pm https://hornguys.com/collections/trombo ... -case-jazz

... looks like a nope
Yes - I saw that too, which is what prompted me to ask the question here. I know several who have 8 inch bells that fit, but none with a King 3B… just wondering what the particulars might be for that model.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ithinknot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:57 pm https://hornguys.com/collections/trombo ... -case-jazz

... looks like a nope
Thoroughness and honesty in advertising. Good of Horn Guys to check fit!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That makes sense, the jazz one is really, really compact. I just checked and I'm surprised but per the description, the Bonna baby case (https://hornguys.com/products/marcus-bo ... 45d7&_ss=r) I have fits 8.5" bell sections no problem. I have a 9" bell I'll check this week. I wouldn't be upset at all using this for a straight 3B. I have a King Tempo bell section, it's going to dimensionally be really similar to your 3B, I'd be happy to pop it in and take some pictures if you wanted.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

... looks like a nope
I have the MB Jazz case, and a 3b fits in the case. Horn guys for whatever reason has that it only fits a 7.5" bell. I worried about that as well, but I reached out to Bonna and they told me an 8" bell would in fact fit. I'm trying to find that message, and have no idea where it is. if I find it I'll share a screenshot of the message. They're pretty active on Instagram if you want to just reach out to them there.

FWIW, Hickeys lists that the case fits an 8" bell.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Matt K wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:56 pm That makes sense, the jazz one is really, really compact. I just checked and I'm surprised but per the description, the Bonna baby case (https://hornguys.com/products/marcus-bo ... 45d7&_ss=r) I have fits 8.5" bell sections no problem. I have a 9" bell I'll check this week. I wouldn't be upset at all using this for a straight 3B. I have a King Tempo bell section, it's going to dimensionally be really similar to your 3B, I'd be happy to pop it in and take some pictures if you wanted.
I have my eye on the tenor baby case for an 891Z. Looking at the pictures on the HornGuys site, the long pad which goes between the slide tubes looks like it could be too wide for a small-bore horn. The photos show a wider large-bore slide and that pad appears to take up all of the lateral space between the tubes. I am concerned that a narrower slide as with a 891Z, 3B, (your 607?) wouldn't fit well and that pad could put unwanted outward stress on the tubes.

Do you find any of the above to be a concern with yours?

Thanks
HBack

Post by HBack »

I think that those pads are moveable, and can be placed where ever they work best for your particular horn with the case.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

HBack wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:48 pm I think that those pads are moveable, and can be placed where ever they work best for your particular horn with the case.
Um, sure......but the pad I am asking about in in the picture below. If it's wider than the space in between the slide tubes of a small bore slide, there's no movement which would alleviate that issue.

I suppose you could take it out, but it seems like it needs to be there to properly support the flap which goes between the bell section and the slide.
MB_Baby.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That does appear to be much wider than mine. Mine fits a 607 slide like a glove:
IMG_3092.jpeg
I'm looking at the tag on mine and it says:

MB031Baby#NY1. I wonder if there's a wider version, which is what is pictured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBack

Post by HBack »

As a follow up to my original question, I ended up buying a Marcus Bonna Jazz Trombone case - it does in fact fit a King 3B very well. I’m very happy - seems like a great case so far!!!!

Return to “Accessories”