Thinking of coming back after a long layoff?

Spin your yarns here.
tbdana

Thinking of coming back after a long layoff?

Post by tbdana »

Today is my 1-year anniversary of playing trombone again, after 30 years off. In that single year I went from not being able to make a sound on the horn on my first day, to being so busy playing that I'm in desperate need of a night off.

All of the following photos are from the last year, and all are from paying gigs.
Dana bone 1.jpg
Dana bone 2.jpg
dana bone 3.jpg
dana bone 4.jpg
dana bone 5.jpg
dana bone 6.jpg
dana bone 7.jpg
dana bone 8.jpg
dana bone 9.jpg
dana bone 10.jpg
If you're wondering if you can do it, wonder no longer. You can! Just do it. :) Don't wait.

Let's hear from those who have come back after long layoffs. What's your story? Are you glad you did it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Re: Thinking of coming back after a long layoff?

Post by hyperbolica »

I came back after 10 years off. I only regained a portion of what I had before from a technical point of view, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

I took a 15 year layoff. I have had a few false starts over the years but this time I stayed with it.

I am happily playing in community band and doing church solos.

I did not come back super strong so I am going to wait a few years before I try for paying gigs.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:16 pm I came back after 10 years off. I only regained a portion of what I had before from a technical point of view, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
What do you think is the reason you didn't get back all your technical ability? Is it something physical, or age-related, or just not willing to put in the effort, or what?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

tbdana wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:25 pm What do you think is the reason you didn't get back all your technical ability? Is it something physical, or age-related, or just not willing to put in the effort, or what?
Combination of factors. I had an accident where I fell out of a canoe in February, got 2 lungs full of pond water, and almost didn't make it out. That burned my lungs and hurt my deep breathing. Also in my time off, I went full-on obsessive on a book I wrote, and gained some weight. That didn't help. Then to top it off, when I came back, I didn't have the motivation to practice all the little exercises that kept me super flexible, I just wanted to play real book melodies. I was only playing about 45 minutes a day instead of a couple of hours. Plus, I wasn't competing against really high level people in my new situation. And then I've by necessity been bouncing back and forth between tenor and bass, unable to focus on tenor and unwilling to focus on bass. I hadn't played bass at all before. So I was splitting my time, and not really getting anywhere on either. (Fortunately, I've just sold my tuba, so that distraction is gone now.)

By now, I've kind of resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get my super high chops or lung capacity back, but ironically I'm kind of the first call bass bone player in the area. Given, it's a bit of a brass backwater, but still... Now if I played banjo, my phone would be ringing off the hook...

Return to “Tangents”