Gig bags for carrying a trombone on a bike

none4u

Gig bags for carrying a trombone on a bike

Post by none4u »

Hi folks!

I'm wanting to break my reliance on my car and travel around by bike/bus, and so I need to be able to transport my trombone by bike. I'm looking for a good gig bag that can reasonably be worn like a backpack while riding my bike.

I play a medium bore tenor peashooter with a fairly large bell, and a I'm very tall with broad shoulders.

Any recommendations for good gig bags for my use case?

Thanks!
hyperbolica

Re: Gig bags for carrying a trombone on a bike

Post by hyperbolica »

I definitely would not recommend a gig bag for that. Bike dismounts in traffic can be messy, especially when you're top heavy with a horn. I'd get a hard case like a MTS or something inexpensive with backpack straps. I just got a Crossrock that has straps, you can see a discussion about it recently on this site.

When I was in high school, I rode my bike with a hard wood case with a regular handle down the mountain from Santas Workshop where I was playing in the band for the summer. Absolutely terrifying. I lived, and so did my horn, but it was absolutely terrifying. I've spent a lot of time on bikes with packs and riding in the city. Getting a bone case with a bell situated on your back so it doesn't bang on your helmet or on your seat might be tricky, depending on what kind of bike, and how hunched over you are. Gig bags are terrifying enough on a bus, but on a bike (with a horn you like) I'd be back on Santas Workshop mountain again.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

If you're not planning on taking the bike onto the bus, you should consider a trailer or cargo bike.

https://hornguys.com/blogs/horn-guys-bl ... n-solution

I've ridden enough to be BOTH pretty comfortable in the saddle, and also crash about once a year. It happens. I wouldn't want to regularly haul a fragile trombone in a soft bag on my back (up high).

Any solution you find needs to also carry the other accessories: music stand, bone stand, folder, mutes. It obviously varies depending on what situations you play in. But you can't wear TWO backpacks.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

none4u wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:25 am I'm wanting to break my reliance on my car and travel around by bike/bus, and so I need to be able to transport my trombone by bike.
This definitely sounds like more of a plan to break your reliance on your trombone. :cry:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
none4u

Post by none4u »

ghmerrill wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:57 am
none4u wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:25 am I'm wanting to break my reliance on my car and travel around by bike/bus, and so I need to be able to transport my trombone by bike.
This definitely sounds like more of a plan to break your reliance on your trombone. :cry:
Objects are ephemeral and they exist to serve our needs.

Looking to assume the minimal risk that is necessary to meet my needs, but absolutely willing to accept some risk.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

A bicycle trailer will work, but please use a hard case. Mine did trip over occasionaly when hitting a curb in a swing.

This is the easiest and most secure an agreable solution https://www.tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=3760#p3760

A cargo bike long John model 21 gears takes easily 2 to 3 trombones and all the stuff you need.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

none4u wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:45 pm Looking to assume the minimal risk that is necessary to meet my needs, but absolutely willing to accept some risk.
I guess that depends mostly on the likely replacement cost for the trombone, or even the necessity of replacing it. It also depend on your bike routes and traffic. Pretty much anywhere around here, it would be suicidal.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I don't have a car and I travel everywhere either by bike or, if it's further, by train.

I always transport the trombones in a Marcus Bonna case. For me, it's the optimal compromise between weight and stability.

When I have to go to the train station first, I usually take the folding bike and carry the trombone on my back.

When I only ride the bike, I use the cargo bike, where I can fit several trombones and accessories.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Now there's a well-conceived approach. :)

I'm guessing that you live in Europe (Germany? Switzerland? Netherlands? ...) where transportation by train and bike is both more supported and more sensible than in (most of? virtually all of?) the US.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Last edited by CharlieB on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
none4u

Post by none4u »

I really wasn't looking for bike advice, y'all. I asked for gig bag recommendations.

1) I already own a bike that I like
2) The bike needs to be taken up an elevator daily while at work, so cargo bike is a really poor choice for me.
3) Pittsburgh buses have bike rack on the front that are incompatible with any sort of cargo bike, and I am spontaneous/like to keep my options open throughout the day.

Like, whatever your opinions are of riding a bike with a gig bag as a concept is really not meaningful to me.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I think we just learned that Pittsburgh is in Europe. Or maybe should be considered so? :roll:

Anyhow, not what I’d call a gig bag, but the Marcus Bonna options are probably the best combo of protective and bike-packable. I like wearing my Cronkhite “dent bag” but I don’t think I’d bike with it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The only thing I would probably consider riding with is a Chronkhite. They're pretty reasonably balanced and probably the easiest to manipulate vs. others which use thing like D rings.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

One time I rode with a Cronkhite double case on my back. The trombone was in the top half, and the mutes etc. in the other side. The bag ended up resting on the bike's rear rack, and took the weight off my shoulders. If the rack wasn't there, it probably would have hit the wheel.

It was pretty uncomfortable. I may not have been able to look behind me.
Last edited by AtomicClock on Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I've never seen one in person, but the Fusion bags advertise themselves as being bike friendly.
"This Tenor Trombone case has a commuter friendly reflective print; a safety factor if you are a cyclist or pedestrian."
fusion bike.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
none4u

Post by none4u »

bitbckt wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:06 pm I think we just learned that Pittsburgh is in Europe. Or maybe should be considered so? :roll:
That and that I'm not sensible, sensible Americans drive cars.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

bitbckt wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:06 pm I think we just learned that Pittsburgh is in Europe. Or maybe should be considered so? :roll:
I've been (worked in) Europe, as have my wife and son. I've also been in Pittsburgh. I don't think we can attribute much to location. :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

This looks interesting:
https://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/blogs/ ... d-lockdown

I assume you will have a rear rack (still fits on a city bus).
rizzo67

Post by rizzo67 »

For my bass bone I use the Fusion bag mentioned above. For the tenors and even for the bass when it had only one valve I've got an old jupiter case, similar to the thomann trekking case.
Thirty years ago I had my Bundy in the original case on the rack of my motobike, but with these backpacks you can get now I feel more comfortable.
SamBTbrn

Post by SamBTbrn »

To answer your question, any good quality gig bag will work fine. You probably want one that sits in a cross between lightest, size, most comfortable on your shoulders and gives your trombone protection.

After that, you have to ask yourself if you also want to carry other things with you in the case. Ie mutes, music, stands etc

I cycle daily with either a MB case or a Reunion blues gig bag. The Reunion Blues is light and offers great protection for the slide and bell, but the shoulder strap on my model are built into the case and are not the most comfortable for longer rides. There is no room for carrying anything else, except for some sheet music next to the tuning slides.

The Fusion is quite large, so maybe is a bit more unwieldy for cycling, but you can carry lots of stuff with you with the extra pouches on the back.

A Marcus Bonn case is the heaviest but also very compact. It offers the most protection as it's half gigbag/hardcase and you have the carrying pouch for music.

Other cases that look like they could be good for you are those by Gard, Cronkite and Protect, but ideally you want one where the bell flare is up towards your head. Too much size at the bottom runs the risk of hitting your wheel or mud guard etc

The most comfortable shoulder straps I have used for swapping between my cases comes from the Brassbags company out of England. They make my Bonna much more manageable when cycling.

Also watch out for leather, in the summer it will make your back sweat like hell.

I hope some of this helps.
Best
Sam
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I’m not fond of gig bags. I use Bona cases a lot. They are very protective. They are not the lightest cases but I feel good on busses and subways, etc.

The Slide Doctor has a term he uses for people who use gig bags: return customers.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

In the same vein as the AirPanniers, you could install some cheap pannier hooks onto an existing case. I'd stick with wood shell, like a Pro Pac; I understand drilling into wood. Fiberglass or carbon fiber, I wouldn't attempt. This might work with a soft gig bag as well, but I'd have to stop and think about what stresses would be applied to the instrument.

Also, you'd have to be limber enough to mount the bike with the case already attached. Not me!
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I bike with my various instruments (tuba, euphonium, tenor/bass trombones) an average of 100km/week. It's certainly doable, regardless of what naysayers think.

Some observations:

The weight is manageable if you're in reasonably good shape, but it does add extra stress. You'll want panniers to carry any incidentals (stands, mutes, music, etc) rather than looking for a case you can load up with all your accessories.

As AtomicClock notes, the large backpack restricts your range of motion and makes it difficult to look over your shoulder. Get a handlebar mirror.

Cronkhite bags are light and well-balanced, with particularly good shoulder straps. I use their double tenor/bass case since I play in a couple groups with uncertain attendance and need to be ready to cover either. Their single straight tenor bag, when I used to have it, was a joy to bike with, I could barely even feel it on my back.

Gard bags have worse strap designs and tend to shift around and become unbalanced on your back, which can be a cause of discomfort.

Bonna cases are great, protective and reasonably light - but they sit a bit high, and I find the bell flare bumps into the back of my head. If you have a very upright Dutch-style bike this is a good option, but a more forward position on the bike becomes untenable with MB cases.
spaghettiandmeatballs45

Post by spaghettiandmeatballs45 »

i use a marcus bonna lightweight gig bag with the backpack straps when i commute on public transportation and it’s really light even with the horn, even lighter than a backpack

Return to “Accessories”