YSL-448G trigger replacement

FussyLad

YSL-448G trigger replacement

Post by FussyLad »

I love my 448G and everything is fine with it, but I hate the trigger/thumb rest. the valve itself is fine (Although the string linkage can be annoying) I was wondering if any of you have thought the same thing about your trigger and have replaced it, the thing I was wondering is if it would be a better use of my money to just suck it up for a few years and buy a better horn for college because of how much it would get a brass technician to do what he does and swap it out.

Thanks and have a wonderful day:)
Last edited by FussyLad on Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: YSL-448G trigger replacement

Post by BGuttman »

I believe this one has a circular rod for the trigger. You can try putting one of those triangular pencil holders on the rod (flat side toward your thumb).

Some have tried gluing coins to the trigger. This is very popular on French Horn valve actuators.

Btw, are you an artist? A collage is a piece of art :evil:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FussyLad

Post by FussyLad »

Thanks for the non costly ideas and no I meant college I just can’t spell lol
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

The Yamaha Xeno trigger “cover”/paddle fits this rod if I am not mistaken. It can be a nice upgrade in hand feel for minimal cost.
FussyLad

Post by FussyLad »

Where can I get it, I feel like I looked all over their website for something like that.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

It's probably the one mentioned in this post.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Your tech can order one. You can also sign up for an account for parts. I think the site is something like yamaha24x7.com. I can look it up later if you can’t find it
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

A very simple thing is to buy in your hardware store 1 meter of clear plastic tubing with the right inner diameter, cut a piece of 5 cm and pull over the round trigger rod. Done. If need be, buy a second, larger one and pull it over the first. Looks nice, works well and is cheap.

The string linkage is very fine, if adjusted well. Minibal rod push things like mounted on the YSL 682G could be ordered and mounted, but having owned both I can assure you that both work equally well.

The YSL 448G is a fine horn, keep it, save the money until you really want or need an upgrade.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Actually, when rereading your post I am not sure if you are unhappy with the trigger, because you are putting some of the trombones weight on it?

In that case it might be best to leave the trigger as is, but install a bullet brace, thumb rest, whatever it is called, to support some weight between thumb and hand, and make the holding hand relaxed. Thus make the trigger movement move freely

Return to “Modification & Repair”