Silver Bach Corporation 42

dapezar

Silver Bach Corporation 42

Post by dapezar »

Have you ever seen an original silver Bach Corporation 42?

Or are they only yellow brass or goldbrass?

Ive seen a silver bach and I dont know it its original or relaqued.
TheFilthOfFrank

Re: Silver Bach Corporation 42

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

Yep, they did silver plate back then. kinda rare
dapezar

Post by dapezar »

TheFilthOfFrank wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm Yep, they did silver plate back then. kinda rare
Do you think this one is original or relacqued?

There is no indication on the bell about the silver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

There are silver plate 42s, and also sterling 42s. You'd have to look at the bell stamp to know if it's a yellow, gold, or sterling bell.

Many silver ones were used by the military, and I don't think anything about silver plate was stamped on the horns.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dapezar

Post by dapezar »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:34 pm There are silver plate 42s, and also sterling 42s. You'd have to look at the bell stamp to know if it's a yellow, gold, or sterling bell.

Many silver ones were used by the military, and I don't think anything about silver plate was stamped on the horns.
Do you mean there is a sterling silver Bach Corporation 42 apart from yellow and goldbrass?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Corporation, no.
dapezar

Post by dapezar »

And silver plate corporation 42?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Sure, anyone can plate a horn after it's made. I'm sure some are factory.
dapezar

Post by dapezar »

How could I know if the trombone posted before has original factory silver plated or has been done after?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm not sure you could, or why it would really matter, to be honest.
TheFilthOfFrank

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

The crispness of the engraving is usually a giveaway, but it can be a no if it is done really well. I'm also with Burgerbob on this one. Why does it matter?
dapezar

Post by dapezar »

TheFilthOfFrank wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:48 pm The crispness of the engraving is usually a giveaway, but it can be a no if it is done really well. I'm also with Burgerbob on this one. Why does it matter?
That's the point. Or maybe there are only a few quantity of planting,enough to not giveaway the engraving.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Silver plate thickness is very thin -- thinner than the lacquer applied to brass instruments.

Silver plate used to be popular in (mostly) Southern US schools, but there are silver plate enthusiasts everywhere. Silver plating is supposed to give the responsiveness of an unlacquered bell but with some corrosion protection; although you need to polish the silver from time to time.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Silver plate has been a standard option on all Bach instruments, certainly from the move to Elkhart to now, and there are examples from every "era". As mentioned, the US military orders a.good number of their instruments in silver plate. They are not treated any differently to the lacquered instruments during manufacture, they are simply plated, instead of being lacquered, after final color buff. There is no stamped indication anywhere saying they're silver plated.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Gameboy64

Post by Gameboy64 »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm Silver plate used to be popular in (mostly) Southern US schools, but there are silver plate enthusiasts everywhere.
That's actually really interesting. Would you happen to know why that is? I know it's popular in marching band to have an all-silver line at some schools, but outside of that I'm not sure why that would be the case.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Gameboy64 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:13 am
BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm Silver plate used to be popular in (mostly) Southern US schools, but there are silver plate enthusiasts everywhere.
That's actually really interesting. Would you happen to know why that is? I know it's popular in marching band to have an all-silver line at some schools, but outside of that I'm not sure why that would be the case.
It's all about appearance (visual), not music (aural).
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Appearance. We play silver plated horns where I work because of the look. Most Trumpets and tubas are silver played, and the look of an all silver brass section is quite clean.
You lose a lot (IMO) with a silver plated trombone. The frequencies tend to go high (bright) and very dull, and the silver plated horn that I use at work is very dead feeling. Small bore horns? Maybe. Large tenor and bass? Don’t bother. The best thing OP could do with that horn is strip it and then play it.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

hornbuilder wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:59 pm Silver plate has been a standard option on all Bach instruments, certainly from the move to Elkhart to now, and there are examples from every "era". As mentioned, the US military orders a.good number of their instruments in silver plate. They are not treated any differently to the lacquered instruments during manufacture, they are simply plated, instead of being lacquered, after final color buff. There is no stamped indication anywhere saying they're silver plated.
From the NY days:
Finish 1: polished brass
(Later) Finish 1 1/2 lacquer
Finish 2: velvet silver plate
Finish 2 1/2: velvet silver with gold in flare
Finish 3: mirror silver plate
Finish 3 1/2: with gold inside flare
Finish 4: with engraving
Finish 5: mirror gold plate
Finish 5 1/2: with engraving “the most ravishing masterpiece in the art of musical instrument making”

As for large silver plated horns sounding dull… eh, whut? I had a 50B2 that could slice bread at 150 yards.

Lots of listening happens with the eyes, however, and you don’t see a lot of silver trombones out there.

Cheers,
Andy
btone

Post by btone »

I had a really great 1978 Corporation Silver Bach 42b. It had a great open blow with a great low range, and was one of the nicest sounding 42s I've seen. I bought it from a graduating senior 30 years ago, later sold it to another student who sold it back to me years after he finished college, and after keeping it about 10 more years, sold it to a student I currently teach. When I hear the sound it makes, I'm briefly jealous. The student who originally sold it to me 30 years ago contacted me recently wondering if I still owned it, because he was interested in buying it back.

Return to “Instruments”