Considering a getting a new Bass Mouthpiece

Lowbrassbrian

Considering a getting a new Bass Mouthpiece

Post by Lowbrassbrian »

Hello all,

As the subject line states I am considering getting a new mouthpiece for my bass trombone. My current set up is a Shires George Curran model, with a Shires B3 leadpipe, as for my mouthpiece I had played on a Greg Black 1g regular weight with a .312 bore from July 2023 till January 2024. Since then I have been using my old Griego GP6 that I was on prior to the GB. I really love both mouthpieces for different reasons. The GB has such a rich, well blended sound with lots of core and is "darker" in sound which is my preference, I just don't think it's super responsive and I just can't get as crisp of articulations on it as I would like. On the other hand I love my GP6 for its very quick and easy articulations and I also just love the blow of the mouthpiece, I just don't the sound of it as much as I like my GB's.

Now the issues I have with both mouthpieces are obviously things I can work on and improve for myself, I just think possibly trying other mouthpieces could be helpful in that process. I have tried the George Curran Ultimate Brass Orchestral model mouthpiece and for me I just didn't think it has a great sound when I play on it and I also think its articulation isn't as crisp as the GP6's. I also have tried the Griego Hecht Orchestra 0, absolutely loved everything about it from the articulation, to response, to sound, I just don't think I can play on a rim diameter that wide. I also am not willing to get a custom from Griego to get the Hecht Orchestra in my preferred rim diameter of around 29mm or 1.14 inches as I have heard many stories of people getting customs and them just not working out as they had hoped.

So I am open to looking into any suggestions you people may have! The Griego Markey line seems tempting, but I have also heard many great things about Long Island Brass Company's mouthpieces and Doug Elliot mouthpieces. I also got a suggestion from a friend about trying a Greg Black 1g in the original bore size or different weights and any combinations in between. Again I am open to hearing everyone's thoughts.

I should also say that I am a college student right now who lives in central VA and doesn't have access to many places to try mouthpieces, so in order to try a mouthpiece I would likely have to buy it used then try it and if it doesn't work I would resell.

Thank you for reading this long thread and sorry for any grammar issues I may have made as I am a non-native English speaker.

Best,
Brian!
Burgerbob

Re: Considering a getting a new Bass Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

Markey 90. Done!

It may also be worth trying the 2 leadpipe.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Are you mostly playing in a small practice room or classroom?

It's easy to condemn a mouthpiece for having bad response when the mouthpiece was designed for a large hall. Make sure you are playing in as many spaces as you can. I wouldn't make any determination about how a mouthpiece responds or sounds outside of a recital hall at a minimum.

It might not be your case at all, but it a shame when students achieve the ultimate setup for the 6x6 practice cube that doesn't work anywhere else.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I have a new line Pollard series of bass pieces about to be released, there's a few options you may find interesting.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Lowbrassbrian

Post by Lowbrassbrian »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:54 am Are you mostly playing in a small practice room or classroom?

It's easy to condemn a mouthpiece for having bad response when the mouthpiece was designed for a large hall. Make sure you are playing in as many spaces as you can. I wouldn't make any determination about how a mouthpiece responds or sounds outside of a recital hall at a minimum.

It might not be your case at all, but it a shame when students achieve the ultimate setup for the 6x6 practice cube that doesn't work anywhere else.
I try and practice in various types of spaces and still find that I just can't get a good response from the Greg Black.
Elow

Post by Elow »

The Doug Elliott is the best mouthpiece I’ve tried. The sound isn’t influenced in any direction, like most pieces. As a shorter guy I really need that efficiency that I get with the Doug Elliott. The lexan rim is amazing, so comfortable. I never worry about my mouthpiece anymore.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I've been down this road. I'm now on a Doug Elliott XB 114 M/M8. I experimented with the L/L10 for a while, but I'm back on the M/M8.

I second the recommendation to give the B2 pipe an extended try. Everything will be easier - except maybe the extreme low register for a little while.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Where in "central Virginia" are you? I may be able to meet you and let you try some of my mouthpueces. I'll be driving.through there in a few days.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

There are a few bass bone pieces for sale in the classifieds section.
Schilke 59, Giddings Chinook are both good. I've had 1 of each over the years.
I now use a wedge 1 1/2.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Tomorrow (Monday 2/12) I will be driving up I-81.
If you, or hyperbolica, or anybody else in that area wants me to stop by, let me know.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
TomInME

Post by TomInME »

GabrielRice wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:42 pm I've been down this road. I'm now on a Doug Elliott XB 114 M/M8. I experimented with the L/L10 for a while, but I'm back on the M/M8.
Can you share your thoughts on the differences? I'm likely to be trying the L/L10 combo, but I'm coming from a setup that was smaller cup / bigger throat&backbore.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

TomInME wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm
GabrielRice wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:42 pm I've been down this road. I'm now on a Doug Elliott XB 114 M/M8. I experimented with the L/L10 for a while, but I'm back on the M/M8.
Can you share your thoughts on the differences? I'm likely to be trying the L/L10 combo, but I'm coming from a setup that was smaller cup / bigger throat&backbore.
I don't usually say this ;-) but it's hard to put into words. The #10 on both L and M seem to sound a bit wider and darker than the 8. I played the M/M8 combination for a long time and ultimately feel more comfortable on it.
TomInME

Post by TomInME »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:17 am I don't usually say this ;-) but it's hard to put into words.
I played the M/M8 combination for a long time and ultimately feel more comfortable on it.
Thanks for the explanation - "feel" is arguably the most important characteristic, and the most individual.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Lowbrassbrian wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:07 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:54 am Are you mostly playing in a small practice room or classroom?

I try and practice in various types of spaces and still find that I just can't get a good response from the Greg Black.
Then if the Black doesn't work at all sell it. Move on. To what?? Who knows but I'd give Doug's pieces a try. Meet up with him. Also as others have mentioned try the #2 pipe first. Might solve some issues.
KingThings

Post by KingThings »

I use a King 29 (large shank) for my beloved 1480 King, but the lead pipe on those is rather unique, so I am not sure it would be an ideal choice for other trombones. However, it is a really nice mouthpiece, and I find it allows me to access low and high extremes with no problem. The 1480 is kind of a small bass by today's standards.

Return to “Mouthpieces”