What’s wrong with me

Spin your yarns here.
BrassSection

What’s wrong with me

Post by BrassSection »

Had an all music night at church last night, well over an hour of playing. Had trumpet, trombone, euph, and French horn on the ready. Trumpet for first 2 songs, the trombone for next one, then the euph, and then it was horn time. Only used it for one song, and I really enjoyed playing it…and wondered when I could pull it out again! Alternated between euph and bone after that, but then ended as I started, on trumpet. Deep down I’m a euphonium player…trombone and euph probably share half of my regular Sunday playing time, use trumpet more than I really want to. I always try to match the horn to the song and group on hand, horn just doesn’t get that much call to be used. Why in the world would I enjoy the French horn I hadn’t played for about 3 months so much and look forward to playing it again! Wonder if there is a cure for that?
Posaunus

Re: What’s wrong with me

Post by Posaunus »

BrassSection wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:58 pm Wonder if there is a cure for that?
I think there's a 12-step program ... ? :idk:
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

At least this makes me feel better…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I wish I could play trumpet. Tried several times but my face won't fit the itty bitty mouthpiece.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Only play trumpet out of necessity, much prefer low brass, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! Do I enjoy the trumpet…only on a select few songs that the trumpet really shines. First group I was in had 3 trumpets already, I was happy to play the baritone I had at the time, but more often I’d pull out my trombone and join the other trombone player. I never thought about playing my French horn back then, even on trombone or baritone if I played in the upper octave I’d get the “Dad stop it, you're playing in my range” look from the horn player!
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

I view trumpets as the necessary evil in the brass world. I will admit groups like The Canadian Brass would just not be the same without trumpets, but then again there are trombone trios doing Buglers’s Holiday! And I’ve been in euph, trombone, French horn and tuba groups that really sound nice together. I mean look at the trumpet players in a brass group….a Bb trumpet, a C trumpet, a piccolo trumpet, a flugalhorn, an Eb soprano all sitting around them. All the other instrument players only have one horn!
(Full disclosure: occasionally I wouldn’t mind having a flugal…)
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Pulled the French horn out again Sunday, and was reminded of the downfalls of that instrument….they are a great liquid trap! Let’s see, rotate clockwise or counter clockwise, which slide do I pull, ah there it is. Wait, there’s more someplace else!

Return to “Tangents”