Selmer Bolero

Stefano

Selmer Bolero

Post by Stefano »

Returning to trombone after a long absence. I was going to rent a student trombone to start, but have the chance to purchase a Selmer Bolero for $320. Very similar I think to the King 3B I once had. Ideally, my only trombone would be with F attachment, but I can’t afford that right now anyway. Maybe I can rent one?

Anyway, I’ll spend the morning hitting instrument stores and looking at rentals, then make a decision on the Bolero.

Any thoughts on the Bolero?
chromebone

Re: Selmer Bolero

Post by chromebone »

The Bolero is an excellent instrument. If it’s in good shape, that is a very good price.
Estraven

Post by Estraven »

Second that, the Selmers were excellent. And $320 is a steal for any non-student horn unless there’s serious damage.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Really good price. Could probably sell it for more later to get the horn you want.
mjrochatbn74

Post by mjrochatbn74 »

I would jump on the Bolero. It is my #1 choice out of the stable that I play and plays bigger than a 3b.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I would snap up that Bolero!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I think it's unanimous!
Estraven

Post by Estraven »

OP: you are of course obligated to post pics here after you get it (or it didn’t happen!).
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

I purchased the horn, will pick it up tomorrow, and of course post photos!
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

So here it is. Slide is 8/10, a little spotting, needs a deep clean and slide realignment etc, but the right horn for me now at the right price. Original Selmer mouthpiece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Hi, Glad you are happy with your Bolero; I had a Model 23 "Special" some years ago. It was a small bore and ideal for jazz lead. It came with an original Selmer, Paris double cup mouthpiece which was an interesting item. Both long gone but I do currently have 3 different Henri Selmer, Paris trombone mouthpieces.
Two small shank pieces marked Model 40, sizes 2 and 5 (23.5mm and 25mm cup diameters) and a Model 44, large shank, size 4 (24.5mm cup diameter) These are much smaller than current usage but my information sheet also shows Trombone Basse sizes range from 24.5mm to 25.5mm.!!! I don't know the date of the leaflet I have but I would assume it is 1960/70s.
What are the markings on your mouthpiece?

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

One more Thumbs up for the Bolero, I love mine, it's become my main horn in a stable of 3bs. I love the wider slide and the Conn-like thinner slide grip.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Here's a photo of the mouthpiece, not cleaned up yet. Silver, the only marking is the word "Selmer." The rim is nicked, and the shank has been bashed a bit. I'm not sure it can be rescued, but I don't know yet what I'd replace it with.

But would love to know more about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

pbone3b wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:14 am One more Thumbs up for the Bolero, I love mine, it's become my main horn in a stable of 3bs. I love the wider slide and the Conn-like thinner slide grip.
I’m loving it so far. What mouthpieces are you using with it?
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

Stefano wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:39 pm
pbone3b wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:14 am One more Thumbs up for the Bolero, I love mine, it's become my main horn in a stable of 3bs. I love the wider slide and the Conn-like thinner slide grip.
I’m loving it so far. What mouthpieces are you using with it?

I’m using a Bob Reeves, Brass Ark, Clarke 6.5AL
https://bobreeves.com/mouthpieces/#trombone
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

that looks pretty dang good, especially for that cheap. congrats
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Stefano, That is not a French, Henri Selmer, Paris mouthpiece. That gothic script was used by Selmer of London and may have been used by the US branch of Selmer- it has a typical US shaped blank. The correct mouthpiece for your Bolero should have the same emblem as the one on the counterweight of your trombone, i.e. a circular laurel(?) wreath with Henri Selmer Paris written in the wreath.
These mouthpieces are quite rare but, if you would like to try one, I am happy to sent the size 5 over for you to try. If you like it, you keep it and we can work out a price (nothing ridiculous!) If you don't like it, you send it back to me The size 5 is similar to Bach 7 rim size but the rim is slightly flatter. The mouthpiece is in very good condition with no loss of silver plating and no insertion marks on the shank. The rim has no chips, dents or scratches and the shank end is round and true.
All you need to do is send me your contact details; (name and address) We can use email from now onwards for better security. My email address is [email protected] Sorry I can't do photographs. The 43 in my signature is the year I was born and I am still trying to get a grasp of the 20th Century never mind the 21st.

Cheers

Stewbones 43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Besson Academy 409
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Emailing you . . .
MBeal

Post by MBeal »

Congrats, Stafano. I'm very jealous.
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

I picked this up at https://www.thebrass-exchange.com/ a few months ago.
Quite small, I don't know if it was original equipment with the Bolero or not?
*replacing Humungus images

bolero_mp2.png
bolero_mp1.png
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

pbone3b wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 am I picked this up at https://www.thebrass-exchange.com/ a few months ago.
Quite small, I don't know if it was original equipment with the Bolero or not?
Pbone3b

Yes, quite small-23.5mm cup diameter. Smaller than a Bach 22. I use my size 2 for alto trombone. The size 5 is around the Bach 7 size.

Do you use the mouthpiece or was it not suitable?

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Besson Academy 409
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

stewbones43 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:30 pm Pbone3b

Yes, quite small-23.5mm cup diameter. Smaller than a Bach 22. I use my size 2 for alto trombone. The size 5 is around the Bach 7 size.

Do you use the mouthpiece or was it not suitable?

Cheers

Stewbones43
Using a more 6.5AL-ish
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
mjrochatbn74

Post by mjrochatbn74 »

Similar here, Faxx 6.5 AL on Bolero.
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

BTW, the serial number on this Bolero is 4625. HOWEVER, I don’t think anyone has managed to date a Bolero using the serial number. I emailed a repair tech there. We’ll see . . .
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

Stefano wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:17 pm BTW, the serial number on this Bolero is 4625. HOWEVER, I don’t think anyone has managed to date a Bolero using the serial number. I emailed a repair tech there. We’ll see . . .
Mine is 5381. With some other members here on the forum, we figured that meant it was made before 1968. So yours is even older.
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Stefano wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:17 pm BTW, the serial number on this Bolero is 4625. HOWEVER, I don’t think anyone has managed to date a Bolero using the serial number. I emailed a repair tech there. We’ll see . . .
We have 2 in the house, hubby's Bolero is serial # 45XX,
mine is 70XX. There are some minor differences, the biggest one being his has a narrow silver-colored Kranz around the bell rim, mine does not. Both have Bolero engraved on the lower cork barrel but the lettering on mine is much larger.
Does anyone know how many were made, and when they stopped production? It would be nice to know an approximate year that they were made.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Based on my recollection from that time period, the Selmer Bolero and Largo trombones were manufactured from about the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies. Both came as either a straight trombone or with F attachment. The Bolero was .509 bore with 8" bell (8 1/2" with F attachment), the Largo was .547 with 8 1/2" bell (9" with F attachment). Early versions (roughly, those made in the '60s) had the Kranz on the bell. This was dropped in the later versions. When these models came out, not long after Selmer had purchased Bach, they were advertised as all-new designs by Vincent Bach, featuring one-piece, hand-hammered bells. Supposedly, Bach had trained the French craftsmen in his method of bell construction. In the U.S., the Bolero was sold with a 12C mouthpiece, the Largo with a 6 1/2 AL. I believe that Selmer may have had a "Bolero" model many years earlier, so Selmer Boleros may not all conform to this description. The earlier version would have had a much smaller bore and bell size. That's about all I can recall.
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

SteveM wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:03 am Based on my recollection from that time period, the Selmer Bolero and Largo trombones were manufactured from about the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies. Both came as either a straight trombone or with F attachment. The Bolero was .509 bore with 8" bell (8 1/2" with F attachment), the Largo was .547 with 8 1/2" bell (9" with F attachment). Early versions (roughly, those made in the '60s) had the Kranz on the bell. This was dropped in the later versions. When these models came out, not long after Selmer had purchased Bach, they were advertised as all-new designs by Vincent Bach, featuring one-piece, hand-hammered bells. Supposedly, Bach had trained the French craftsmen in his method of bell construction. In the U.S., the Bolero was sold with a 12C mouthpiece, the Largo with a 6 1/2 AL. I believe that Selmer may have had a "Bolero" model many years earlier, so Selmer Boleros may not all conform to this description. The earlier version would have had a much smaller bore and bell size. That's about all I can recall.

My Mid-late 60s Bolero (sn 5381) has a Kranz lacquered the same color as the rest of the bell.
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I wish that I'd kept my Bolero, but I sold it in the mid-80's after I got married. The horn probably would have lasted far longer than the marriage, but that's a whole other topic! :lol:

Return to “Instruments”