That odd mouthpiece that came in the case...

JohnL

That odd mouthpiece that came in the case...

Post by JohnL »

If you've bought many used trombones, you've also ended up with a collection of mouthpieces that just sort of "came along for the ride". Usually, it's just the OEM mouthpiece or some common brand, like Schilke, Bach, or Denis Wick - but sometimes it's something out of the ordinary...

Over the years, I've acquired a Parduba double cup, a Rudy Mück cushion rim, an ivory cup Olds from around 1930, and a couple of Roe Plimpton custom bass trombone 'pieces from the late 1940's.

What have you ended up with that you didn't actually set out to buy?
AtomicClock

Re: That odd mouthpiece that came in the case...

Post by AtomicClock »

It was a friend's purchase, who then gave me the mouthpiece.
Miraphone PO 05
Maybe like a 12c, but with an extra-long shank.
Last edited by AtomicClock on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I recently found an Urbie Green Jet Tone in a case. Go figure, it's nearly a perfect match for my bass trumpet.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

How about:
• Jerome Callet Magnum 7B
• DiOrio C 980
• Chris Kratt C24
• Ludwig
• Martin 1
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

In a Holton 168 case, a Conn 3B that I later donated to my high school since they have a 71H.

The stock 89 is a pretty odd piece itself.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I was given a Shires 4MD when I bought my horn. I never really used it, but I tried it the other day, and it’s pretty good. Not my ideal rim size though. It's described as being comparable to a Bach 4 rim, with a cup depth in between a 4GS and 4G.
Last edited by JeffBone44 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

An old Benge I bought cheap came with a King 4G. Didn't think much of it but I put the King 4G into my regular horn just to test and it immediately started working for me. A good sized rim, a shape that locks in without fatigue, and for reasons I can't explain, it plays with more center, focus color than most 4Gs, most of which I tend to sound too dark on. The King 4G still has the breadth of sound you expect from a 4G, but for me plays like a tenor trombone mouthpiece instead of a small bass. It replaced a slew of mouthpieces which were close but no cigars.
afugate

Post by afugate »

William Frank trombone mouthpiece. Two numbers on it. 3 and 2. Small shank. Never seen anything like it.

--Andy in OKC
TomRiker

Post by TomRiker »

Hammond 11m skeleton-ized small shank that came with a Bach 36BC. Kind of funny because it's the size rim and maybe even cup that I would have ordered to try on the horn if I was going to buy a Hammond. The shank goes in a little too deep, but some plumbers tape fixes that. I kind of like it. It is very efficient and not like anything else I own. I don't use it all the time but it's fun to play and great to get back into shape if I've been off the horn for a few (or a lot of) days.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I bought an Olds TIS with the bear on the bell, and it came with a NY Bach 18 mouthpiece. Thinking it was cool but not really usable, I decided to have it re-plated and set it aside.
I use the Olds from time to time, and have used mouthpieces that are comfortable for me, such as a Wick 6BS.
When asked to play an alto part in a piece with orchestra/choir (definitely out of my comfort zone) I resorted to the Bach 18.
It was magical! The previous owner must have known his stuff, because it really makes the Olds sing.
And surprisingly it does not feel as small as I thought it would.
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

This old NY Bach 7 that I used happily for years has been by FAR the neatest. In terms of surprisingly good mouthpieces that commonly show up in cases, Yamaha 48 small shank. I have a shallowish one I love. Conn 3s are pretty neat, though I've never really used one for any length, as I only use small bores for jazz and tend to focus on shallower things.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

A NY 7 can be a nice piece. That’s a really cool find!

I have one that I use when I want a nice “velvety” sound on my small horns (3B, Bach 8). In fact I’m using it tomorrow—my daughter’s piano teacher asked me to play a Christmas song with her at the end of their winter recital 8-)
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
davdud101

Post by davdud101 »

I can't remember where it came from - but some horn I paid maybe $60-$150 for in the last 5 years netted me a cool gold plated Remington Connstellation mouthpiece. It honestly would be the perfect mouthpiece for me if it weren't for the mismatched taper/gap that throws the intonation and overall sound/feel balance way off. Otherwise it's got a lovely, fluffy warm tone.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

2 years ago bought a Conn trombone from a guy on FB for $200. Late 50s 6h. He delivered it to me in Brooklyn in his pickup truck.
His ad didnt mention a mouthpiece, but it Ccame with a Mt Vernon 6 1/2al. Love the trombone, not sold on the mouthpiece, but keeping it around; maybe I just haven't found the perfect horn match for it.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

A former student found a no-name mouthpiece in a practice room at Boston University and gave it to me. It's more or less the size of a 2G with a wider rim, a more open throat, and a heavier blank. I gave it to a former tenor student for bass trombone doubling. It beat out a Greg Black Ray Premru 2G copy and a couple of other small bass pieces in playtesting.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Beat-up Conn 18H (TIS small tenor) came with a NY Bach Jazz Medium. I have no idea what it's equivalent to but it works really well.

Return to “Mouthpieces”