Where Do You Get Boxes to Ship Horns You Sell?

Spin your yarns here.
Chronos91

Where Do You Get Boxes to Ship Horns You Sell?

Post by Chronos91 »

Basically the title. I'm about to put up a large bore tenor for sale, but I don't know where the best place is to buy boxes big enough for that, and I don't have any old ones lying around. I've seen Lowes has a box big enough, but it costs $24 and two of the dimensions are twice what they need to be, so it would need a ton of packing. Do any of you have places you typically look at, or is that kind of situation what generally happens if you don't have anything lying around?
Burgerbob

Re: Where Do You Get Boxes to Ship Horns You Sell?

Post by Burgerbob »

I live near a box store. Yup, they just sell boxes. I feel like it's cheating!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I've seen a lot of people using the UHaul Lamp Box, although it's 12x12 so maybe not big enough for large bore horn. We use U Line boxes, but I think you have to buy a bunch of them. I don't think they sell just one.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

this probably won't help you, but when I buy a horn off of someone I keep that box in the rafter of my garage. I currently have 3 of them up there just waiting for the day I sell a horn.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

I use the Lowe’s boxes and cut them down…or put them together. A donor box and a hot glue gun for reinforcement and packing tape help a lot as well…

I tend to like to custom make the box as the dimensions are more the issue than the weight.
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

Chronos91 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:06 pm Basically the title. I'm about to put up a large bore tenor for sale, but I don't know where the best place is to buy boxes big enough for that, and I don't have any old ones lying around. I've seen Lowes has a box big enough, but it costs $24 and two of the dimensions are twice what they need to be, so it would need a ton of packing. Do any of you have places you typically look at, or is that kind of situation what generally happens if you don't have anything lying around?
I’ve shipped many a horn in Uhaul lamp boxes. They require 2-3 packs of peanuts from Uhaul. If I ship in a case, I always use a foam cone from Michael’s in case it’s dropped. So far so good. Uhaul also has sporting equipment boxes if you want a slightly wider dimension for peace of mind. You can always cut down the length if it’s too long.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

#1 from horns I buy
#2 make them from other boxes
#3 in the extreme I may have bought a box at Staples
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Does your town recycle? I've had luck finding boxes set out at the curb, especially if I give myself a few recycling cycles.
Soon people will be putting out boxes that Christmas trees come in.
I've also cut down larger boxes, the advantage being that I can get just the right size and double-wall the sides.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

Mamaposaune wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:56 am Does your town recycle? I've had luck finding boxes set out at the curb, especially if I give myself a few recycling cycles.
Soon people will be putting out boxes that Christmas trees come in.
I've also cut down larger boxes, the advantage being that I can get just the right size and double-wall the sides.
My town recycles. I don't think I've ever seen any outside. I'm in an apartment with big dumpsters so when people don't recycle, I imagine they just toss them.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I've had good luck with the UHaul lamp box for tenor trombones, including large bore horns. Bass trombones or tenors with large cases might need something a bit bigger. Remember that if you need to go bigger, you can cut the length of the box down a bit to save costs on shipping and avoid having a lot of space to fill.

Jim Scott
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The lamp box will fit tenors. For basses I use the U-haul Sports Utility box. Big enough for a set of golf clubs. Given the dimensions and amount of packing required it’s expensive but lots of protection.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Those 12 x 12 lamp boxes will cost a fortune to ship as they kick you into the oversized range for ups or usps.

Return to “Tangents”