How often do you give your trombone a bath…

mainstay73

How often do you give your trombone a bath…

Post by mainstay73 »

…with complete disassembly?
norbie2018

Re: How often do you give your trombone a bath…

Post by norbie2018 »

Never. I clean individual part of the instrument but never submerse it in water.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Monthly, on the first of each month. At least, for the horns I've been playing that month. They get a full bath and cleaning inside and out. I'm not into turning my horns into petri dishes for biology experiments.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got several horns, so it's like changing the oil on a car - after a certain amount of usage. The bass is sensitive to getting stuff in the valves, so I clean the slide more often. Same is true for all horns, but I'm more paranoid about getting even water in the bass valves. Snake/rod as appropriate. Cheese cloth on the rod, and Dawn on the snake. I don't use the bathtub, I use a hose in the shower that puts full pressure in the slide tube. If I look down the top slide and don't like what I see, I wash it. I've got the shower right next to my instrument area, so it's easy to step in and just do it.

Cleaning the euphonium or tuba is a different issue, and takes more time and effort. Although I've heard a lot of tuba people say they don't wash at all (the tuba that is). All my worst cleaning stories come from tubas - dead mice, slime, green flakes, visible buildup... Can't even imagine what techs who clean school horns all day come across...
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A routine bath does not involve things like disassembling a valve. You can soak an F-rotor, flush, and relube but if you find it needs disassembly it's Tech Time. I don't have a regular schedule for soak baths; just when it strikes my fancy.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't typically bathe valve sections. Slides, sure.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Slides get bathed every two weeks or so. For sure.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:25 pm A routine bath does not involve things like disassembling a valve. You can soak an F-rotor, flush, and relube but if you find it needs disassembly it's Tech Time. I don't have a regular schedule for soak baths; just when it strikes my fancy.
Yikes! Do you really place your entire bell section under water while the valve section is assembled? That is something I do not recommend. That will just encourage faster accumulation of mineral deposits in all the nooks and crannies of the valve.
Last edited by Crazy4Tbone86 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I wouldn't submerge the slide, either. The cork barrels definitely don't need water getting in them, especially if there is felt in there. You can funnel water through the tubes.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I tend to focus on the mouthpiece side of the slide and clean that on a somewhat regular basis, every month or so. That's where the 'ol bodily fluids will do the most damage over time. I also try to get each horn to a professional cleaning every year.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I get my horns professionally cleaned once a year. I clean out my slide once a month & I bathe my entire trombone every 3 months. This seems to work for me.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I use this on mine about once a week, depending on the amount of playing.
I like it because it`s long enough to clean the entire outer slide too
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... snake-.php
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I use the brass saver through my inner slide every time I lube it. Even with brushing teeth and rinsing etc it's amazing how fast gunk builds up.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:00 am I use the brass saver through my inner slide every time I lube it. Even with brushing teeth and rinsing etc it's amazing how fast gunk builds up.
Brass Saver through inner AND outer slides (after wiping all old lube off outer surfaces of inner slides).
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

More often than I want and less often than I should.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:55 am
tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:00 am I use the brass saver through my inner slide every time I lube it. Even with brushing teeth and rinsing etc it's amazing how fast gunk builds up.
Brass Saver through inner AND outer slides (after wiping all old lube off outer surfaces of inner slides).
For the outers I use either the SOM swabs or a rod and cheese cloth to avoid gumming up the Brass Savr brush. I do usually run it through once to get stuff out of the crook though.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I rinse out slides every week or two. Maybe one a month for a horn I rarely play.

Sometimes I just do a quick flush, Or I pour in white vinegar and Dawn soap. Push a snake though and maybe a bronze gun brush. Then flush it out.

The trick it the flush it out tool. I have old MP with a small shank and one with a large shank soldered to a garden hose fitting. Make the quick disconnect to my office/studio sink and turn on the water. Being able rinse everything out quick and easy is the way to go. This takes just minutes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15AN3J0 ... drive_link
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Maintenance”