Meinelschmidt Open Flow Q.

TrryReynolds

Meinelschmidt Open Flow Q.

Post by TrryReynolds »

I picked up a Bach LT42BOFG in December. My question:
Are there alignment (if that’s the correct term) adjustments a tech would make on the Meinlschmidt Open Flow valves?

I’m working to improve my sound down there, and while I’m more inclined to blame the player than the equipment, I thought I’d ask here if the valve could/should be looked at. Thanks for any information!
Long-time school band director- hoping to get my face back into shape.

Bach lt42bofg 5g
Bach 12 Hammond 12m
Burgerbob

Re: Meinelschmidt Open Flow Q.

Post by Burgerbob »

Make sure it's oiled, and that the valve is aligned- for a quick check you can just look at the witness marks on the plate beneath the rotor cap. If it's dry or out of alignment, it'll play worse.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Re: Meinelschmidt Open Flow Q.

Post by tbonesullivan »

As Burgerbob said, definitely check the alignment and make sure it's lubricated. My Open Flow likes Ultra-Pure. Also, definitely check the alignment on the tuning slides, etc. Also what you can do is take off the main tuning slide, plug up the end, and blow into the receiver to make sure there are no leaks in the F-attachment tubing.

Bach has been known to occasionally not use enough solder to actually seal the joints... like on my 42BOF that when I went to pull the valve tuning slide the outer slide moved too..
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Modification & Repair”