Covid - so far?

How and what to teach and learn.
Bach5G

Covid - so far?

Post by Bach5G »

Band and music classes have been going for a number of weeks now. How’s it going? Any feedback, Covid-wise? Band not a superspreader event? Uptick in cases? Do bell covers work? What sorts of precautions have worked? What haven’t?
BGuttman

Re: Covid - so far?

Post by BGuttman »

Attended a couple of outdoor rehearsals. Worked fine. But the weather is now too cold for that.

One group had bell covers for the trombones. I have a "bell bag" I bought a year ago to try as a mute and it works too. Saxophones (and other woodwinds) don't have a really good cover -- the bags are uncomfortable to use and there is nothing to help flutes.

The High School where my orchestra rehearses (we can't rehearse there yet) is dividing the Band into subgroups to keep headcount down in the rehearsal room. Seems to work. They also had a concert where only small groups performed.

I really suspect that we will need some improvements in pharmacology before we can reopen completely. A vaccine at least, and ideally a real quick cure.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

I think my music courses have been lucky. We get tested, use bell covers, wear masks when not playing and are socially distanced. Since we rehearse indoors we can only play for 20 minutes before having to leave the room for 20 minutes. We're also limited to 20 people in the room. We're also required to do a health check in and provide our current temperature before entering any campus buildings. I keep my own hand sanitizer on me and I got myself this thing called "The Spit Catcher" off Amazon as I tend to produce a good amount of condensate.

The most effective thing currently is testing. I get tested weekly and get the results fairly quickly (last one took 7 hours to get the results). For people that test positive they do contact tracing and if there is any possibility they were at rehearsal they'll shut us down full stop. Without the testing I don't think it'd be responsible for us to be rehearsing.
Robert C
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Still no gigs
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 pm Still no gigs

Part of the problem is that audiences don't want to take the risk either.

Add to that (at least in my part of the US) we have crowd size limitations. It's tough to make a profit playing for an audience of 25-50 people.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

At least some of you are starting to rehearse again, even if in small ensembles!

I still haven't heard anything definitive on when we can start rehearsing again in the Seattle area...
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

RConrad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:11 pm I think my music courses have been lucky. We get tested, use bell covers, wear masks when not playing and are socially distanced. Since we rehearse indoors we can only play for 20 minutes before having to leave the room for 20 minutes. We're also limited to 20 people in the room. We're also required to do a health check in and provide our current temperature before entering any campus buildings. I keep my own hand sanitizer on me and I got myself this thing called "The Spit Catcher" off Amazon as I tend to produce a good amount of condensate.

The most effective thing currently is testing. I get tested weekly and get the results fairly quickly (last one took 7 hours to get the results). For people that test positive they do contact tracing and if there is any possibility they were at rehearsal they'll shut us down full stop. Without the testing I don't think it'd be responsible for us to be rehearsing.
I strongly disagree with the statement “the most effective thing currently is testing.” While certainly VERY helpful, testing is detection. Detection is NEVER as effective as prevention. The previous measures you list are more preventative. Even moderately effective prevention measures will be more effective to slowing spread than the best testing scheme.

Cheers,
Andy
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, testing is always reactive, and even if you get a positive test, all you can do is isolate, which you could have done without the test.

Plus, they tend to test people who have symptoms without random or complete testing, so the testing is just confirmation, not really new information.

I do agree that a negative test enables you to get together with others with less worry, but that reassurance is only good until one of your group meets another person. People in the White House were very thoroughly tested, and they still all got sick. On the other hand I've never been tested, and I'm not sick.

The best thing you can do is isolate. If you can't isolate, keep your distance, wear a mask, and practice good hygiene. You don't need a phd to understand this.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I was wondering about the measures adopted by colleges and whether such measures were successful.

Neither of my groups are rehearsing, as two facilities that were initially favourable subsequently declined to rent us space, most recently in late summer. There has been an overall increase in cases this fall, and everyone is being more cautious.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 am I was wondering about the measures adopted by colleges and whether such measures were successful.

What colleges consider successful is to contain outbreaks. They test sewage from dorms, and then quarantine the entire building if positive. It helps prevent further spread, but essentially sacrifices everyone in the dorm building to save the campus.
Neither of my groups are rehearsing, as two facilities that were initially favourable subsequently declined to rent us space, most recently in late summer. There has been an overall increase in cases this fall, and everyone is being more cautious.
People are weary and feeling isolated. Mental health is as important as physical health. The few rehearsals or performances I've been to have been small groups of cautious people. We play outdoors or in large well ventilated space.

Two people I've played with recently are school music teachers. They describe the politics, fear, and insanity from admin and parents they have to deal with to have kids play in groups at school. I'm so glad I'm not in that situation.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:06 am

I strongly disagree with the statement “the most effective thing currently is testing.” While certainly VERY helpful, testing is detection. Detection is NEVER as effective as prevention. The previous measures you list are more preventative. Even moderately effective prevention measures will be more effective to slowing spread than the best testing scheme.

Cheers,
Andy
Oh I didn't mean to infer that it was effective at prevention. It's been effective at allowing us to continue playing in doors though. Without it there was no way the University was going to allow us to rehearse even outdoors. Prevention is mostly personal but the university has done a few other things like adapt the air filtration systems and lots of cleaning. Like during breaks all the stands and chairs have to be wiped down. Most of the buildings are limited access too. Reminds me of being in the Navy and trying to avoid whatever junk was going through the compartment at the time.
Robert C
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

My last rehearsal was about a month ago. There were no special precautions besides social distancing.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”