Practice Spaces

How and what to teach and learn.
SaigonSlide

Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide »

I'd love to see where folks do most of their practicing. Practice rooms, practice spaces.

What do you keep in there, what is not there, who is in there with you?

What objects/pics/thoughts help motivate/stimulate your practice?

What do yo u prefer as far as what the space feels like, looks like, sounds like? Dim, bright, warm, cold, open, stuffy, dead, live, sparse, full, etc, etc.

I've always felt that different spaces often times can make you feel a certain way.

Let's see some pics!
SaigonSlide

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide »

Here’s my practice space. Really not too complicated. Two trombones out most of the time. I have nice big window overlooking the street below and I’m up by myself on the third floor. I need some different lighting though. I have a cheap speaker set for transcribing or play alongs. My wife uses the room for play therapy for kids so there’s some children-themed pics on the walls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

The scale of the furniture really threw me off here. It's a room for munchkins - or a normal room with a giant Conn.
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

Haha! Good observation actually. We live in Vietnam, and those two chairs are classic Vietnamese style: very low and small. So yes...the scale is wacky!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Off-topic - how's the gig scene there?
Grah

Post by Grah »

I must confess I have rather selfishly taken over our lounge room and turned it into an office and practice area. I just have to tidy it up a bit when we have visitors. It is perfect for practicing with Band-in-a-Box, having speakers pointing to the desk and keyboard, and to the place I stand or sit to play:
My Office come Studio Dec 2013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 pm Off-topic - how's the gig scene there?
As you may imagine, the gig scene is not great! Currently I've been meeting with a guitarist and we're trying to get a bossa nova thing going. I'm a comeback player so I've taken advantage of the lack of gigs by practicing a lot.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The bathroom, any bathroom, where the sound always seems best. There's good precedent, too, as Carl Fonatana's daughter says he would play in there for hours.

If only that's all it took...
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

SaigonSlide wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 am Here’s my practice space. Really not too complicated. Two trombones out most of the time. I have nice big window overlooking the street below and I’m up by myself on the third floor. I need some different lighting though. I have a cheap speaker set for transcribing or play alongs. My wife uses the room for play therapy for kids so there’s some children-themed pics on the walls.
Very nice!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Grah wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 pm I must confess I have rather selfishly taken over our lounge room and turned it into an office and practice area. I just have to tidy it up a bit when we have visitors. It is perfect for practicing with Band-in-a-Box, having speakers pointing to the desk and keyboard, and to the place I stand or sit to play:
My Office come Studio Dec 2013.jpg
Nice! Great arsenal of instruments there too!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Zandit75 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
That is very cool. My space is very lame and shall not be photographed.
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 pm
Zandit75 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
That is very cool. My space is very lame and shall not be photographed.
Thanks Neo, I do enjoy my little corner of the house.
This is the only room in the house that is actually "truely" finished! Every wall is painted, and all of the furniture in there is exactly what I wanted, even though it's only cheaper stuff from K-Mart.
The two electric guitars hanging are not shop bought, the one on the left is one I got from a friend for nothing, and I stripped it back to bare timber and repainted it while upgrading the electronics. The other one on the right is a kit guitar that I bought a couple of years ago. Very enlightening process to bring the timber alive, and learning the intricacies of wire control and soldering etc. Good fun!
lobonemike

Post by lobonemike »

Conservatory practice rooms. Although a bit noisy sometimes with others practicing, it's still a place I can get work done.

At home in my room. Really dead acoustic so I can really hear what's going on with my mouth.

Any large, live acoustic space such as an ensemble room or even kitchen. Really easy to achieve a ring sound with clear feedback from the room.

I like to vary where I practice so that I can hear things differently constantly.
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” ― Confucius
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Neo Bri thought his practice space was lame? Ha! A little cramped. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. If I forget and leave my mouthpiece on the horn in the winter, I'll put it under warm running water to warm it up before I practice :lol: Accoustics could be better but I get by. And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
Who else practices in the garage?
IMG_1831.JPG
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

BflatBass wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm Neo Bri thought his practice space was lame? Ha! A little cramped. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. If I forget and leave my mouthpiece on the horn in the winter, I'll put it under warm running water to warm it up before I practice :lol: Accoustics could be better but I get by. And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
Who else practices in the garage?
IMG_1831.JPG
Hmmm. Is that a MotoGP kit I see hanging up? Sweet. And I love that Duo Gravis in the picture.
ddickerson

Post by ddickerson »

This is my practice room which is just a small bedroom. You will notice if you pay attention a Ham radio sitting on my computer desk as well. Doesn't get too much attention right now because of HOAs, but I don't want to store it in the garage, so there she sits.

Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

[quote=BflatBass post_id=59587 time=1526076095 And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
[/quote]

Why not???? :idk:
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I practice in my living room, about 5 * 8 m, sixteen bones on sixteen stands, a grammophone, a CD player, a computer and recording equipment. I rather play in a dry room. Not too small. I don't like bathroom accustics because it hides articulation and dynamics. If I perform in a church it is of course a good thing to practice in the same church to adopt the playing. It usually means less of everything. Shorter notes and softer articulations dynamics must be scaled down. I don't think that is fun :-)

/Tom
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

cozzagiorgi, the only thing I'll consume while playing the horn is either water or coffee. Just the thought of that stuff in my horn :eek: . Especially the slide.

And Neo Bri, I used to race bikes but not MotoGP :lol: Playing the trombone is a lot safer.
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”