Working as a Repair Tech

All about making money.
Neo Bri

Working as a Repair Tech

Post by Neo Bri »

Hey TCers,

I doubt our more prominent techs here will want to directly participate, but I'm wondering what kind of money could be expected as yearly income for the average, capable repair tech.

I wonder also what the average workweek is like.

Any of my tech friends that don't want to post here could PM or email me, too. I'm very curious.
chromebone

Re: Working as a Repair Tech

Post by chromebone »

I recently visited a well known repair tech for some work, one of the most well known and respected.
While discussing the unfortunate fate of an equally well known and respected tech, among the most well known in the world, he said it's a really tough way to earn a decent living.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

It CAN be very lucrative, but it's not an easy way to get rich, if at all. At least in my experience.

Working from home is the hardest part for me, as there's ALWAYS work staring at me when I'm in the garage.
While in the bigger scope of things, this is a good problem to have, I don't get the relief of leaving the "shop" and going home to escape work!
Having said that, working in a shop can also be a pain in the tuchas! Depending on the situation, there are always pressures from management and customers to get everything done yesterday.
And from some customers standpoint, you charge too much, or management, to little....

Sorry I got off on a tangent to your question Brian.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

As for lessons with a pro, if you can, pay extra.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

baileyman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 pm As for lessons with a pro, if you can, pay extra.
I'm not following you. Can you clarify?
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Sure. No repair tech has charged me enough. Nor a pro for a lesson.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

baileyman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 pm Sure. No repair tech has charged me enough. Nor a pro for a lesson.
I wanna live where you live.
prototypedenNIS

Post by prototypedenNIS »

I've been a repair tech full time since graduating in 2007. One day I'll have paid off my student loans.
To be honest, I'm getting out the trade due to the pay.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

baileyman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 pm Sure. No repair tech has charged me enough. Nor a pro for a lesson.
At the STS last summer, private lessons were going for between $100 and $300 an hour. I would say that's plenty. I didn't sign up for one. OTOH, my local tech never charges me much to work on my horns. But if he were to charge more, I would not complain, as he does good work.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Band parents often try to haggle on the price with me. That's not how it works. Pro players usually insist on paying me more than I asked for. They understand the value of the service we provide.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

It depends on where you are, to a large extent, how much competition there is, and how good you are. When I was in Sydney, Australia, I had a 6 month wait on Play Services. I could have easily gone full time, but repair was scheduled around my orchestra job, and the business did very well. I was also dealing predominantly with Pro/advanced students who appreciated what I had to offer. The US is different, with many more techs around the country.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I agree. Location, location, location. Around here, there aren't very many of us, but there are a lot of players who need work done. The most amazing brass tech around just retired, so the rest of us will have to pick up the slack.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

brassmedic wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 am Around here, there aren't very many of us, but there are a lot of players who need work done.
The most amazing brass tech around just retired, so the rest of us will have to pick up the slack.
Who retired? :(

Return to “Music Business”