7/16-24: Road trip to NYC; things to do in/along the way.

Looking for opportunities?
LarryPrestonRoberson

7/16-24: Road trip to NYC; things to do in/along the way.

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Hi folks! As the title suggests, my family is taking a vacation (7/16-23) to New York City to visit my wife's extended family; We are driving from Atlanta, GA. I am soliciting suggestions for our time in the big city, but also along the road. We will probably stop for a night along the way, to and from. It looks like our route is flexible. But it's likely we will pass through North Carolina and Virginia.

Obliviously, we will likely hit the usual suspects of tourist traps. But, I like to go off the beaten path as well; especially for culinary adventures—I'm a non-practicing chef. Where-local-go, are of particular interest. So once again, any advice concerning general vacation type activities are welcome. Both my wife and I are musicians, so we would appreciate information on musical events during those dates. Our anniversary is soon (7/25) and we'll have a date-night and likely take in a show as well—recommendations also please.

Also, general travel information, advice, and tips for the trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information.

p.s. It would be cool to go to music stores/shops. It might be a chance to play-test some brands of trombones and instruments that I wouldn't find in the shops in Atlanta. Where to go?
Last edited by LarryPrestonRoberson on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: 7/16-24: Road trip to NYC; things to do in/along the way.

Post by BGuttman »

Take I-81 up the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. You can visit Luray Caverns in Virginia.

As you approach New York City, stop in New Jersey at Dillon's. best selection of used instruments you will see anywhere.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Take music, stuffed ipods for instance, as it's a radio wasteland.

And remember 11 parallels 81 in case of backups, which spontaneously generate.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:08 pm Take I-81 up the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. You can visit Luray Caverns in Virginia.

As you approach New York City, stop in New Jersey at Dillon's. best selection of used instruments you will see anywhere.
Nice suggestion Bruce. I love Appalachia. And I've always wanted to visit Dillon's; thanks for reminding me.
baileyman wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm Take music, stuffed ipods for instance, as it's a radio wasteland.
And remember 11 parallels 81 in case of backups, which spontaneously generate.
Good tips.

I'm definitely looking at taking I-81. Thanks guys!
Carter1016

Post by Carter1016 »

If you're going to see a show in NYC, I'd highly suggest Hello Dolly! At the Schubert Theater. Great show, I saw it back in April

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”