History of Bass trombone use in Big Bands

piezer

History of Bass trombone use in Big Bands

Post by piezer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a paper on the history of the bass trombone within big bands. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for resources to use to find info or any starting points with specific musicians or groups.

Right now I have the books Swing Changes and The History of Jazz that I'm going through. And obviously I'm going to try to follow George Robert's career. There was also a post on the Bass Trombone facebook group a few weeks ago of notable bass trombonists that I'm going to look at. But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Google scholar and databases I get access to through my school haven't been a ton of help.

Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: History of Bass trombone use in Big Bands

Post by BGuttman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:17 pm

One important guy to research is Bart Varsalona (I hope I spelled that right). He was bass trombone for Kenton and one of the early adopters of F-attachments.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
piezer

Post by piezer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks! I found a really great piece on Bart in the Spring 2001 issue of the ITA journal. If anyone else ever interested in researching him its a good place to start
jorymil

Post by jorymil » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:33 am

I'm sure you found:

https://www.bassbone.com/resources/articles.php

already: looks like there are some older ITA articles out there, and the article itself is well cited.

Good luck - would love to read your paper!

Return to “History of the Trombone”